Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Ersvaer, Trudi" <Tr...@ca.com> on 2003/05/07 02:27:17 UTC

Someone must know about Tomcat4 in-process

Is it true that if using Tomcat4 "in-process", it must be done over a connection (for example 8009)???  Whereas Tomcat 3 "requests for servlet execution are passed using JNI".  If this is not true does anyone know where I can get documentation on it?

Re: Quick Question

Posted by Lajos <la...@galatea.com>.
Hi Mick -

Apache can serve static content faster than Tomcat, so this would be a
consideration if milliseconds count (like you have an extremely active
site). Other than that, the only thing I could see that you should
consider is hackability of Apache vs Tomcat running HTTP. Not that I am
aware of any issues myself, but perhaps others on the list would be. I
just know that because Apache is so heavily used, any potential exploits
are usually quickly discovered and fixed. The same is not true of Tomcat.

Regards,

Lajos

Mick Ortwein wrote:
> Any reason, security or otherwise, one would choose to run apache
> web server and tomcat on the same machine.  I am aware that for load
> balancing
> apache has a higher level of flexibility.  Am I missing something?  I do
> almost
> all my sites with servlets/jsps.  Is it just a matter of scale?  I am
> also very interested
> in the security impact of using tomcat versus apache web server.
>
> -Mick

                    Lajos Moczar
     Open Source Support, Consulting and Training
             Cocoon Developer's Handbook
  (www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0672322579)

                    _      _____
                   / \         /
                  /___\      /
                 /     \   /____

      http://www.galatea.com -- powered by AzSSL

Re: Quick Question

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.
http://tomcatfaq.sourceforge.net/apache.html

-Tim

Quick Question

Re: Someone must know about Tomcat4 in-process

Posted by Mark Eggers <it...@yahoo.com>.
Will do:

#
# workers2.properties file
# only at beginning. In production comment it out
# [logger.apache2]
# level=DEBUG

#
# where the config file lives
#
[config:]
file=C:/Apache2/conf/workers2.properties
debug=0
debugEnv=0

#
# matches and maps the uri requests
#
[uriMap:]
info=Maps the requests. Options: debug
debug=0

#
# Alternate file logger
#
[logger.file:0]
level=DEBUG
file=${serverRoot}/logs/jk2.log

#
# shared memory file
#
[shm]
info=Scoreboard
file=C:/Apache2/logs/shm.file
size=1048576
debug=0
disabled=0

#
# default worker environment
#
[workerEnv:]
info=Global server options
timing=1
debug=0

#
# Default Native Logger (apache2 or win32 )
#
logger=logger.file:0

#
# default load balancer definition
#
[lb:lb]
info=Default load balancer.
debug=0

#
# this is a jni connection
#
[channel.jni:jni]
info=The jni channel, used if tomcat is started
inprocess

#
# this is the jk status channel
#
[status:]

#
# Define the parameters for the Java Virtual Machine
#
[vm:]
info=Parameters used to load a JVM in the server
process
JVM=C:/j2sdk1.4.1_02/jre/bin/client/jvm.dll
OPT=-Djava.class.path=C:/Tomcat/bin/tomcat-jni.jar;C:/Tomcat/server/lib/commons-logging.jar
OPT=-Dtomcat.home=${TOMCAT_HOME}
OPT=-Dcatalina.home=${TOMCAT_HOME}
OPT=-Xmx128M
disabled=0

#
# JNI worker startup handler
#
[worker.jni:onStartup]
info=Command to be executed by the VM on startup.
class=org/apache/jk/apr/TomcatStarter
ARG=start
stdout=C:/Tomcat/logs/stdout.log
stderr=C:/Tomcat/logs/stderr.log
disabled=0

#
# JNI worker shutdown handler
#
[worker.jni:onShutdown]
info=Command to be executed by the VM on shutdown.
class=org/apache/jk/apr/TomcatStarter
ARG=stop
disabled=0

#
# status worker
#
[uri:/jkstatus/*]
info=Display status information and checks the config
file for changes.
group=status:

#
# jsp examples
#
[uri:/examples/*.jsp]
info=Tomcat jsp examples

#
# servlet examples
#
[uri:/examples/servlet/*]
info=Tomcat servlet examples

#
# cocoon
#
[uri:/cocoon/*]
info=Cocoon 2.1 csv

#
# jetspeed
#
[uri:/jetspeed/*]
info=Jetspeed portal server

#
# charting servlet
#
[uri:/jfreeservlet/servlet/*]
info=Charting library as a servlet

#
# tomcat documentation jsp
#
[uri:/tomcat-docs/*.jsp]
info=Tomcat documentation jsp files

#
# servlets in tomcat documentation
#
[uri:/tomcat-docs/servlet/*]
info=Tomcat documentation servlets

#
# sandbox for jsp files
#
[uri:/beg-jsp/*.jsp]
info=Sandbox for trying jsp code

#
# sandbox for servlets
#
[uri:/beg-servlets/servlet/*]
info=Sandbox for trying servlet code

#
# O'Reilly JSP book examples
#
[uri:/ora/*.jsp]
info=O'Reilly book examples

#
# Catches servlets in O'Reilly examples
#
[uri:/ora/servlet/*]
info=O'Reilly book examples

#
# JNI in-process configuration list
# jk2.properties file
#
handler.list=request,container,channelJni,apr

#
# shm file here as well
#
shm.file=c:/Apache2/logs/shm.file

#
# default JNI connection
#
channelJni.disable=0
apr.jniModeSo=inprocess

HTH

/mde/
just my two cents . . . .

Re: Someone must know about Tomcat4 in-process

Posted by Dan Tran <da...@hotmail.com>.
Mark, tomcat-userlist does not allow attachments.

Can you past them ?

-Dan