Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by Alexander Murmann <am...@apache.org> on 2020/07/20 16:21:57 UTC

[Discuss] Cutting Geode 1.14

Hi everyone,

TL;DR: Let's discuss 1.14 once 1.13 is out.

If we stick to our cadence of cutting a release every 3 months and shipping
it 1 month later, 1.14 is due to be cut two weeks from today. However, we
haven't shipped 1.13 yet and are still struggling with some issues.

I suggest that we postpone cutting the 1.14 release till we've actually
shipped 1.13. Once we've shipped 1.13, we should have another conversation
about timing of 1.14. I know the 1.13 release has been taxing on many
people in our community and we might want to consider giving ourselves a
little bit of a gap between releases.

Re: [Discuss] Cutting Geode 1.14

Posted by Mark Hanson <ha...@vmware.com>.
Playing devil's advocate here, but I think the reason we would not like to move to 1.14 would be that we have a ton testing already in to quantify issues on 1.13 and 1.14 would be (a bit) of an unknown quantity. Further, the core issues that we are waiting on for 1.13 are presumable 1.14 issues as well.

Thanks,
Mark

    Alternatively, why not abandon 1.13 and try again with 1.14?

Posted by Alexander Murmann <aj...@gmail.com>.
I think re-cutting 1.13 from current develop is interesting, but I think I
agree with Donal that the amount of additional risk might not be worth it.
Geode 1.13 already has some cool new features like SNI support that I
believe some users have been waiting for and I'd hate to not get that out
for another 2 months.

It also would be nice to get something out and get a little bit of a
breather, rather than running the risk of another 2 months of full-steam.

--
Alexander J. Murmann
(650) 283-1933

Re: [Discuss] Cutting Geode 1.14

Posted by Owen Nichols <on...@vmware.com>.
The wiki states:

   "Geode cuts support branches for new minor releases on a time-based schedule (Monday on or after Feb 1, May 1, Aug 1, Nov 1)."

I guess let's leave this inaccurate statement as-is for now until 1.13 has shipped and we have a better sense of how releases will be initiated in the future.

On 7/21/20, 11:57 AM, "Alexander Murmann" <aj...@gmail.com> wrote:

    Owen, we cannot plan an updated timeline till we have shipped 1.13. If the
    goal is to avoid overlap between 1.13 and 1.14 and give folks a break, we
    need to know when 1.13 ships.

    --
    Alexander J. Murmann
    (650) 283-1933