Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Matthew Conway <ma...@backupify.com> on 2010/09/01 15:03:00 UTC

JConsole/SSH tunneling tip

If you need to tunnel jconsole to a remote cassandra instance, the SSH socks proxy (ssh -D)is the easiest, least intrusive way.  More details:

http://simplygenius.com/2010/08/jconsole-via-socks-ssh-tunnel.html

Matt

Re: JConsole/SSH tunneling tip

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for writing this up!

--
Jonathan Ellis
Project Chair, Apache Cassandra

Re: JConsole/SSH tunneling tip

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 9:03 AM, Matthew Conway <ma...@backupify.com> wrote:
> If you need to tunnel jconsole to a remote cassandra instance, the SSH socks proxy (ssh -D)is the easiest, least intrusive way.  More details:
>
> http://simplygenius.com/2010/08/jconsole-via-socks-ssh-tunnel.html
>
> Matt

Matts approach makes good sense for a interactive JMX session.

RMI is fubar. All my cacti templates use JMX to pull data from hadoop,
cassandra,etc. Though it is easy enough to tunnel your system
tunneling your monitoring station is harder

I converted all my scripts that originally ran remotely with jmx, to
run locally on the host, and then I call them with nagios remote
plugin executor.

# tail -1 /etc/nagios/nrpe.cfg
command[run_caches]=/usr/lib64/nagios/plugins/run_caches.sh $ARG1$
$ARG2$ $ARG3$ $ARG4$ $ARG5$ $ARG6$

# /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_nrpe -H cdbsd01.xxxxxx -c run_caches
-a cdbsd01.hadoop.pvt 8585 dummyUser dummyPass  XXXXRowCache YYYYData
Size:1000003 Capacity:1000003 Hits:20770366 Requests:26687574
RecentHitRate:0.10300684727597499

This lets me collect all the performance data over NRPE and avoids all
the hostname issues, nat, and port issues.

Edward

Re: JConsole/SSH tunneling tip

Posted by Janne Jalkanen <Ja...@ecyrd.com>.
On Sep 1, 2010, at 16:03 , Matthew Conway wrote:

> If you need to tunnel jconsole to a remote cassandra instance, the
> SSH socks proxy (ssh -D)is the easiest, least intrusive way.  More
> details:
>
> http://simplygenius.com/2010/08/jconsole-via-socks-ssh-tunnel.html

Totally awesome. I've lost several hours of my precious life trying to
figure out how to do this, and now you solved it!  Me and whatever is
left of my sanity thank you :-D

/Janne