Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Aljoscha Krettek <al...@apache.org> on 2018/08/23 08:12:09 UTC

Flink 1.7 Development Priorities

Hi Everyone,

After the recent Flink 1.6 release the people working on Flink at data Artisans came together to talk about what we want to work on for Flink 1.7. The following is a list of high-level directions that we will be working on for the next couple of months. This doesn't mean that other things are not important or maybe more important, so please chime in.

That being said, here's the high-level list:
 - make the Rest API versioned
 - provide docker-compose based quickstarts for Flink SQL
 - support writing to S3 in the new streaming file sink
 - add a new type of join that allows "joining streams with tables"
 - Scala 2.12 support
 - improvements to resource scheduling, local recovery
 - improved support for running Flink in containers, Flink dynamically reacting to changes in the container deployment
 - automatic rescaling policies
 - initial support for state migration, i.e. changing the schema/TypeSerializer of Flink State

This is also an invitation for others to post what they would like to work on and also to point out glaring omissions.

Best,
Aljoscha

Re: Flink 1.7 Development Priorities

Posted by vino yang <ya...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I think Kafka 1.0/1.1/2.0 connector can be part of the Flink 1.7 release.
The current kafka 1.0 connector PR has been submitted.
I am refactoring the existing kafka connector test code to reduce the
amount of duplicate code.

Thanks, vino.

Coo1 min <gj...@gmail.com> 于2018年8月23日周四 下午5:59写道:

Posted by Coo1 min <gj...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by "yzhou@coupang.com" <yz...@coupang.com>.
I would like to have https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-7289 in the
release. It's problematic to control memory usage of rocksdb backend. And
many people have issue on it.

Best
Yan

Aljoscha Krettek-2 wrote

Posted by Thomas Weise <th...@apache.org>.
Any plans to advance the "splittable source" idea? It probably won't be
ready to implement, but important to get on the radar.

Thanks,
Thomas

Posted by Renjie Liu <li...@gmail.com>.
Hi:
Can we include task manager isolation for jobs in 1.7.0? This is a feature
that blocks us from deploying flink more widely in our compan?
I've opened issues <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-9662> for
that and want to help to contribute that, but lacks guidance and reviews
from community.

--
Liu, Renjie
Software Engineer, MVAD

Re: Flink 1.7 Development Priorities

Posted by Elias Levy <fe...@gmail.com>.
I would be nice to see the state TTL work finished.  At the moment state
will not expire if a key is not accessed while the job is running, which
means jobs that require state expiration must continue using timers to
expire data.