Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Ben Kim <bk...@tamu.edu> on 2009/08/31 02:40:43 UTC

question - diff with head

Hi,

svn, version 1.6.2 (r37639) on cygwin.

When I do diff st -u,
it shows that file1 is different in the repo. For example, it says

* 614 file1
Status against revision:    656
(* is the comment.)

Then when I do
     svn diff file1

it does not show the difference with version 656. It just shows whether I
have a local modification against the version I last updated to (614).

Only when I do
     svn diff -r656 file1

I get the difference.

Is this supposed to be? Is there a switch to make this happen without
-r656?

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.0/re09.html
says "If either N or M are omitted, a value of HEAD is assumed."

but it seems not happening on my svn.

Thanks.

Ben Kim

Re: question - diff with head

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 14:57, Ben Kim<bk...@tamu.edu> wrote:
> Hi Ryan,
>
>> Yes, but that's not what I meant. You created your message by using the Reply
>> function in your email program to reply to an unrelated message. Instead,
>> please use the New Message function to create a new message and address it to
>> the list address. Otherwise, your new message will be linked to the old
>> message in the mailing list archives and in users' mailboxes, which isn't what
>> you want.
>

> I use pine and the to/from/subject lines seemed harmless. I now checked
> the header and see these fields.

>     <00...@com>
>

> Just curious, is this what tracks the thread?

In most mail clients/mailing list managers, yes. Some use the subject
line, either in conjunction with those, or exclusively (which is
pretty unreliable).

Re: question - diff with head

Posted by Ben Kim <bk...@tamu.edu>.
>>   <00...@com>
>> Just curious, is this what tracks the thread?
>
> Yes, I believe so.

Thanks.
Ben Kim

Re: question - diff with head

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Re: question - diff with head

Posted by Ben Kim <bk...@tamu.edu>.
Hi Ryan,

> Yes, but that's not what I meant. You created your message by using the Reply
> function in your email program to reply to an unrelated message. Instead,
> please use the New Message function to create a new message and address it to
> the list address. Otherwise, your new message will be linked to the old
> message in the mailing list archives and in users' mailboxes, which isn't what
> you want.

I use pine and the to/from/subject lines seemed harmless. I now checked
the header and see these fields.

     <00...@com>

Just curious, is this what tracks the thread?

I usually didn't have a problem this way (hit reply and edit) with other
lists but probably it's just that I didn't hear, rather than it was not
there.

Regards,

Ben Kim

Re: question - diff with head

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Re: question - diff with head

Posted by Ben Kim <bk...@tamu.edu>.
>> Only when I do
>>    svn diff -r656 file1
>> I get the difference.

> Yes. The program behaves correctly.

>> Is there a switch to make this happen without -r656?

> I think the switch is "-r656" :) (or perhaps "-rHEAD"; I haven't tried).

Thanks that answers it.

> P.S: Please don't reply to unrelated messages in order to start a new thread.
> Threaded mail readers and the mailing list archives will link your message to
> the old one, although they are not related in content. To start a new thread,
> please use the New Message function in your mail program.

Oops, sorry, I took an old email and took the list address from there -
should have remembered to delete the bottom contents. I'll add the list
address to my addressbook :)

Regards,

Ben Kim

Re: question - diff with head

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Aug 30, 2009, at 21:40, Ben Kim wrote:

> When I do diff st -u,
> it shows that file1 is different in the repo. For example, it says
>
> * 614 file1
> Status against revision:    656
> (* is the comment.)
>
> Then when I do
>     svn diff file1
>
> it does not show the difference with version 656. It just shows
> whether I
> have a local modification against the version I last updated to (614).
>
> Only when I do
>     svn diff -r656 file1
>
> I get the difference.
>

> Is this supposed to be?

Yes. The program behaves correctly.

> Is there a switch to make this happen without -r656?

I think the switch is "-r656" :) (or perhaps "-rHEAD"; I haven't tried).

> http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.0/re09.html
> says "If either N or M are omitted, a value of HEAD is assumed."
>
> but it seems not happening on my svn.

I think it's talking about using svn diff against URLs here, not
against a working copy. Perhaps the wording could be clarified.

Though in this case the documentation probably hasn't changed much
since then, please note that the above URL is part of the
documentation for Subversion 1.0, which is very old. Here is the
corresponding documentation for Subversion 1.5, which is the most
recent version of the documentation that has been finished:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.5/svn.ref.svn.c.diff.html