Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Nathan Wiger <nw...@san.rr.com> on 1999/05/28 08:02:33 UTC

Re: mod_auth-any/4444: Apache loops under certain circumstances when accessing password-protected dirs

Hi-

Sorry to bother you, I hadn't heard anything back on this. I just spoke
to people at a different site and I managed to get a reproducible account
which you guys can test:

> If you went into the soeais area with a url like
>    https://soeadm.ucsd.edu:443/soeais/...
> and again if you went in without the :443
>    https://soeadm.ucsd.edu/soeais/...
>
> Then after that point, it could apparently sometimes become confused
> about how to authenticate you properly for that directory. This seems
> to be caused by the fact that you could be asked to authenticate twice
> for the area.

The more I looked at it, this appeared to be the case for me as well.
It does not matter whether or not you use fully-qualified hostnames
or not (as I originally stated), but rather which you use _first_.
For example, if you access one of the internal sites I manage at
sdhelp.west then re-access it at sdhelp.west.sun.com, the server will
loop. The same thing happens if you do it in the reverse; it seems
reaching a directory with two different hostnames confuses the server
and it just loops. I have not experienced it trying to authenticate
users twice in these situations, but it sounds related.

If there's anything I can do to help, please let me know. I will try
to take a look at the source when I have time but unfortunately do
not know Apache as well as you (obviously). Note that re-reading the
database reports it seems this could be related to `mod_auth-any/4399'.

Thanks again for your help.

-Nate