Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Jonathan Hall <fl...@flimzy.com> on 2017/02/08 15:47:14 UTC

Questions setting up my first CouchDB 2.0 cluster

I'm trying to set up a CouchDB 2.0 cluster,and finding that my complete
ignorance on all things Erlang is a bit of a problem.

First question:  The docs
(http://docs.couchdb.org/en/2.0.0/cluster/setup.html) tell me to issue a
command:

erl -sname bus -setcookie'brumbrum'  -kernel inet_dist_listen_min9100  -kernel inet_dist_listen_max 9200

The comments explain that 'bus' (and the following 'car') are node
names. How should I select a node name? Should these match the hostname
of the server?  Must they not?

Second question: Later I'm told to issue the following command in the
erlang shell:

net_kernel:connect_node(car@server2).

I tried using `car@full.hostname.com`, and got a syntax error. Is it
invalid to use a FQDN here? If not, how do I do it? If so, how do I
associate a FQDN with a name that Erlang recognizes?

Third question: I set up my DNS resolver to search for my FQDN, so then
I ran `net_kernel:connect_node(eu1@eu1).` and got 'false'. How do I
troubleshoot this? I tried to turn on erlang debugging (per
http://erlang.org/doc/apps/debugger/debugger_chapter.html), and got:

(us1@flashbackus)2> debugger:start().
{error,{not_smp,[{wxe_server,start,1,
                              [{file,"wxe_server.erl"},{line,64}]},
                  {wx,new,1,[{file,"wx.erl"},{line,114}]},
{dbg_wx_mon,init,3,[{file,"dbg_wx_mon.erl"},{line,113}]}]}}
(us1@flashbackus)3>
=ERROR REPORT==== 8-Feb-2017::15:36:43 ===
WX ERROR: SMP emulator required (start with erl -smp)

How does one go about debugging erlang connection problems?

Thanks!

-- Jonathan