Posted to user@uima.apache.org by Olivier Terrier <ol...@temis.com> on 2007/05/11 12:48:41 UTC

Is the Vinci layer thread safe ?

Hi

We use Vinci deployed annotators to load balance our annotation processing on several machines.
Our machines are all multi CPUs machines and N instances of the same Vinci service are launched on each machine.
Sometimes (not systematic) one of the Vinci service fails with a SAXException raised in the CASTransportable.toStream() method.
I have examined the code of the Vinci layer and I wonder if the VinciClient code that is used is really tread safe.
I have noticed that a PooledVinciClient exists and that all its send/receice/sendAndReceive methods are explicitely claimed to be tread-safe in their comment header.
Is this PooledVinciClient used in UIMA when a Vinci service is instancied ?

Thanks

Olivier Terrier

Re: Is the Vinci layer thread safe ?

Posted by Jaroslaw Cwiklik <cw...@us.ibm.com>.
CPM code doesn't use PooledVinciClient. All Vinci proxies in the CPM are
instances of VinciClient. Each instance is used by one thread at a time.
All proxies are pooled internally and an instance is checked out, used and
placed back in the pool.

Jerry Cwiklik
 UIMA Extensions
 IBM T.J.  Watson Research Center
 Hawtorne, NY, 10532
 Tel: 914-784-7665,  T/L: 863-7665
 Email: cwiklik@us.ibm.com

Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>
05/12/2007 05:10 PM
Please respond to
uima-user@incubator.apache.org

uima-user@incubator.apache.org
cc

Subject

Olivier Terrier wrote:
> Hi
>
> We use Vinci deployed annotators to load balance our annotation
processing on several machines.
> Our machines are all multi CPUs machines and N instances of the same
Vinci service are launched on each machine.
> Sometimes (not systematic) one of the Vinci service fails with a
SAXException raised in the CASTransportable.toStream() method.
> I have examined the code of the Vinci layer and I wonder if the
VinciClient code that is used is really tread safe.
> I have noticed that a PooledVinciClient exists and that all its
send/receice/sendAndReceive methods are explicitely claimed to be
tread-safe in their comment header.
> Is this PooledVinciClient used in UIMA when a Vinci service is
instancied ?

> Thanks
>
> Olivier Terrier

I've asked Jerry C. to take a look at this. -Marshall

Re: Is the Vinci layer thread safe ?

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.