Posted to dev@karaf.apache.org by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net> on 2011/11/14 00:21:32 UTC

[INFO] New Apache Whirr service for Karaf

Hi all,

FYI, I submitted a patch to the Apache Whirr project to provide a
service for Karaf:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WHIRR-429

Whirr is a "new" Apache project which leverage jclouds to easily deploy
and upload "services" to cloud.

Whirr provides a set of service by default:
- Cassandra
- Hadoop
- ZooKeeper
- HBase
- ElasticSearch

And I hope soon Karaf ;)

I think it could be interesting to couple Whirr with Cellar: Cellar will
be able to sync config/bundles/features between several Karaf instances,
Whirr will be able to provision and create a new Karaf instance in a
cloud (private/public/hybrid).

WDYT ?

I plan to submit a bunch of new Whirr services in the following days
(for ServiceMix, Kalumet, etc).

Regards
JB
--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [INFO] New Apache Whirr service for Karaf

Posted by "Jamie G." <ja...@gmail.com>.
Sounds neat :)

Cheers,
Jamie

Posted by Ioannis Canellos <io...@gmail.com>.
Great job Jean Baptiste!

I can see this being really useful for setting up Cellar clusters in the
cloud.
I am wondering if "what will be installed" inside Karaf (e.g. Cellar or
ServiceMix) can be part of the recipe. For example, is it possible to
provide just a Karaf service and have a Cellar recipe or a ServiceMix
recipie that will define what will be installed inside Karaf?

An other idea/suggestion would be to create a Whirr feature for Karaf, that
would install Whirr inside Karaf so that the user can execute whirr
commands from inside Karaf's shell and import the target services in the
Karaf's service registry. That's something I would really like to put some
effort on.

--
*Ioannis Canellos*
*

**
Blog: http://iocanel.blogspot.com
**
Apache Camel <http://camel.apache.org/> Committer
Apache ServiceMix <http://servicemix.apache.org/>  Committer
Apache Gora <http://incubator.apache.org/gora/> Committer
Apache DirectMemory <http://incubator.apache.org/directmemory/> Committer
*

Re: [INFO] New Apache Whirr service for Karaf

Posted by Andreas Pieber <an...@gmail.com>.
sounds very interesting! I'm offering myself as a test dummy for the
results :-)

Kind regards,
Andreas