Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "David H. DeWolf" <dd...@apache.org> on 2005/11/09 04:08:09 UTC

[M2] Injecting ArtifactFactory and ArtifactResolver into Plugin

I'm developing a plugin which requires an ArtifactFactory and
ArtifactResolver and am attempting to get them injected.  I have tried
two approaches:

@component role="org.apache.maven.artifact.resolver.ArtifactResolver"
@component role="org.apache.maven.artifact.factory.ArtifactFactory"

and

@parameter
expression="${component.org.apache.maven.artifact.resolver.ArtifactResolver}"

@parameter
expression="${component.org.apache.maven.artifact.factory.ArtifactFactory}"

It appears the later approach is appropriate for 2.0 and the former is
appropriate for the current trunk, however, I've tried both and am
having no luck with either approach.

Both approaches result in a NullPointerException which is hidden by a
previously fixed bug in DiagnosisUtils (patch applied against the trunk)
in which a secondary NullPointer is thrown if an exception message is null.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

David

Re: [M2] Injecting ArtifactFactory and ArtifactResolver into Plugin

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On Wed, 2005-11-09 at 09:54 -0500, David H. DeWolf wrote:
> Hmmm. Definately a possibility. Thanks for the hint!

If you think you might eventually want tooling then you definitely want
to go the route of the embedder.

> David

> > > I'm attempting to create a plugin which will automate the installation
> > > of the Pluto Portalinto an app server. My requirements go beyond simply
> > > deploying the war as Pluto requires some configuration, integration with
> > > other webapps, and the deployment of shared and endorsed artifacts into
> > > the app server.
> > >
> > > I currently have a version of the plugin that will complete this task
> > > when executed from within a utilities subproject (using the "just
> > > created" artifacts). I'd like to modify the plugin so that the
> > > installation can use artifacts in the repository so that users don't
> > > have to check out the source code first. I'd also prefer not to have
> > > the artifacts embeded within the plugin.
> >
> > Are you strictly interested in creating a plug-in or are you interested
> > in making a tool that you could use from a different environment, say an
> > Eclipse plug-in? If you are then I would suggest taking a look at the
> > embedder. You could create something with the embedder and then wrap the
> > resulting tool you create in a mojo to make it work within Maven 2.x.
> >
> > http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-embedding-m2.html
> >
> > Inside a mojo you would then use the @component tag to pull in the
> > embedder but that's the only component you would need as the embedder is
> > really a facade over all the features of Maven we would like to expose
> > to tool integrators.
> >
> > --
> > jvz.
> >
> > Jason van Zyl
> > jason at maven.org <http://maven.org>
> > http://maven.apache.org
> >
> > We know what we are, but know not what we may be.
> >
> > -- Shakespeare

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason at maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

the course of true love never did run smooth ...

 -- Shakespeare

Re: [M2] Injecting ArtifactFactory and ArtifactResolver into Plugin

Posted by "David H. DeWolf" <dd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

jason at maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
No - it should work for both.

- Brett

Posted by "David H. DeWolf" <dd...@apache.org>.
For others with similar problems, it looks as though I've been able to
resolve my problem by using @component for both ArtifactFactory and
ArtifactResolver, but using @parameter expression=${localRepository} for the
ArtifactRepository.

Thanks Brett for the help,

David

Posted by "David H. DeWolf" <dd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "David H. DeWolf" <dd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On Tue, 2005-11-08 at 22:08 -0500, David H. DeWolf wrote:
> I'm developing a plugin which requires an ArtifactFactory and
> ArtifactResolver and am attempting to get them injected.  I have tried
> two approaches:
>
> @component role="org.apache.maven.artifact.resolver.ArtifactResolver"
> @component role="org.apache.maven.artifact.factory.ArtifactFactory"

What are you trying to do exactly?

> and
>
> @parameter
> expression="${component.org.apache.maven.artifact.resolver.ArtifactResolver}"
>
> @parameter
> expression="${component.org.apache.maven.artifact.factory.ArtifactFactory}"
>
> It appears the later approach is appropriate for 2.0 and the former is
> appropriate for the current trunk, however, I've tried both and am
> having no luck with either approach.
>
> Both approaches result in a NullPointerException which is hidden by a
> previously fixed bug in DiagnosisUtils (patch applied against the trunk)
> in which a secondary NullPointer is thrown if an exception message is null.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> David

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason at maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

People develop abstractions by generalizing from concrete examples.
Every attempt to determine the correct abstraction on paper without
actually developing a running system is doomed to failure. No one
is that smart. A framework is a resuable design, so you develop it by
looking at the things it is supposed to be a design of. The more examples
you look at, the more general your framework will be.

  -- Ralph Johnson & Don Roberts, Patterns for Evolving Frameworks