Posted to dev@iota.apache.org by Gunnar Tapper <ta...@gmail.com> on 2017/02/09 17:46:23 UTC

0.1 Release Proposal

Hi,

I've been thinking about the 0.1 release. As stated before, the first step
of any Apache incubation project is to learn how to operate in the Apache
world.

From a release purpose, I propose the following focus areas:

1. Ensure that the source tree is a source tree. From what I understand
(Justin can verify), the source tree should not contain; for example, jar
files but the source and means to build the "binaries" and package them up.
2. Build instructions. People outside the project needs to be able to build
the code.
3. Release artifacts. Package up the project into a tar file ensuring that
all the release requirements are met.

That's it for 0.1. I recommend that other functions (install, test
libraries, etc.) can wait to later releases.

Would this work? If so, who can take care of #1 and #2 so that we can move
to #3?

Gunnar

Re: 0.1 Release Proposal

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> 1. Ensure that the source tree is a source tree. From what I understand (Justin can verify), the source tree should not contain; for example, jar files but the source and means to build the "binaries" and package them up.

Correct there shouldn’t be jar files in the repo. Apache release are source code only.

> 2. Build instructions. People outside the project needs to be able to build the code.

One of the setup in verifying a release is the ability to compile it. Not being able to compile or not having clear building instruction may mean that your release may not get past the incubator PMC vote.

Thanks,
Justin