Posted to user@kudu.apache.org by Jan Holmberg <ja...@perigeum.fi> on 2017/08/17 09:29:29 UTC

Re: Max number of columns

Any new news? Anyone investigating, planning, implementing support for +300 column tables?

cheers,
-jan

On 19 Jun 2017, at 8.30, Jan Holmberg <Ja...@perigeum.fi>> wrote:

Thanks for the answer. I'm bit surprised about this. Sure I understand that there's some upper limit but 300 seems pretty low value. Support for wider tables if definitively required in analytical use cases. Hopefully someone starts working on this.

-jan

On 18 Jun 2017, at 23.22, Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>> wrote:

Hi Jan,

I don't believe anyone is currently working on expanding the limitation.

If you are willing to live on the edge, it is possible to use --unlock-unsafe-flags and bump the limit to a higher number. However, you may run into performance or stability issues, since you are entering a realm of usage that has no testing or real world usage, so if you do hit an issue, you'll probably be on your own to diagnose and debug the problem.

There are a few things in flight (eg Hao is working on reducing the number of fsyncs when writing blocks) which may help the issue, but until we've expanded testing coverage, we don't want to recommend users operate past these limits.

-Todd

On Sun, Jun 18, 2017 at 12:35 PM, Jan Holmberg <ja...@perigeum.fi>> wrote:
Anyone? I find 300 columns pretty strict limitation for analytical tables. I'd liked to know if wider tables are on the roadmap.

-jan

--
Todd Lipcon
Software Engineer, Cloudera