Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org> on 2002/03/15 15:12:39 UTC

Re: db connection pool

From: "Berin Loritsch" <bl...@apache.org> on cocoon-users

> In JDK 1.4, the classes for JDBC access were changed.  As a result,
> the DB connection code *must* be compiled with a JDK 1.4 compiler.
>
> I have tested the database connection code under JDK 1.4, though I
> admit that I did not test it against the Oracle database.  It is
> *possible* that the Oracle driver does not work under JDK 1.4, though
> if you used the old style ESQL values and got things working I suspect
> it is the fact that the pooling code needed to be recompiled.

IMO, this is a showstopper for the coming Cocoon 2.0.2 release.
What can be done about it other than asking the users to recompile Avalon
code?
Maybe ship two jars with these classes and use the right one only, by
discerning with an ant "depends"?

            - verba volant, scripta manent -

RE: db connection pool

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
> From: Nicola Ken Barozzi [mailto:nicolaken@apache.org]
>
> From: "Berin Loritsch" <bl...@apache.org> on cocoon-users
>
> > In JDK 1.4, the classes for JDBC access were changed.  As a result,
> > the DB connection code *must* be compiled with a JDK 1.4 compiler.
> >
> > I have tested the database connection code under JDK 1.4, though I
> > admit that I did not test it against the Oracle database.  It is
> > *possible* that the Oracle driver does not work under JDK 1.4,
though
> > if you used the old style ESQL values and got things working I
suspect
> > it is the fact that the pooling code needed to be recompiled.
>
> IMO, this is a showstopper for the coming Cocoon 2.0.2 release.
> What can be done about it other than asking the users to recompile
Avalon
> code?
> Maybe ship two jars with these classes and use the right one only, by
> discerning with an ant "depends"?

Would it be enough to create two binary distributions (for Java 1.3.1
and 1.4), and only one source distribution?

Vadim