Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Dominic St-Jacques <do...@isimo.ca> on 2008/12/02 15:25:11 UTC

Setting GET or POST for each individual parameter ?

Hi,

In a page, I have both GET and POST parameters. Can jMeter set the
transfer method for each individual parameter ?

I know you can set all parameters as POST and append the GET parameters
to the URL, but is there another way?

I personnally like the way Badboy (http://www.badboy.com.au/) does
things. Each parameters is set to either be POST or GET. This helps
readability and increases flexibility in my opinion.

For example:
------
GET: id = 12345
POST: firstName = John
POST: lastName = Doe
-----

Is there a reason why jMeter doesn't do it like that ?

Thanks a lot,

Dominic.

Re: Setting GET or POST for each individual parameter ?

Posted by Dominic St-Jacques <do...@isimo.ca>.
Hi Farid,

Thanks but my second paragraph was :

-----
I know you can set all parameters as POST and append the GET parameters
to the URL, but is there another way?
-----

I was looking more for a "why it's like that instead of a toggle for
each parameter"...

Dominic.

Posted by Dominic St-Jacques <do...@isimo.ca>.
On 2008-12-04 19:59, sebb wrote:
> On 02/12/2008, Dominic St-Jacques <do...@isimo.ca> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>  In a page, I have both GET and POST parameters. Can jMeter set the transfer
>> method for each individual parameter ?
>>
>>  I know you can set all parameters as POST and append the GET parameters to
>> the URL, but is there another way?
>>
>>  I personnally like the way Badboy (http://www.badboy.com.au/) does things.
>> Each parameters is set to either be POST or GET. This helps readability and
>> increases flexibility in my opinion.
>>
>>  For example:
>>  ------
>>  GET: id = 12345
>>  POST: firstName = John
>>  POST: lastName = Doe
>>  -----
>>
>>  Is there a reason why jMeter doesn't do it like that ?
>
> For a GET request, parameters can only be provided as part of the URL.
>
> For a POST request, parameters are normally provided as part of the
> request body - AFAIK it's not very common to mix them.

I have to disagree with you there. It's fairly common. Take a contact
form for example. You can have the GET id=1234 to select the actual
contact to edit, but all input fields are passed back to the server as POST.

> JMeter assumes that POST parameters will only be provided as part of
> the request body, but of course you can add them to the Path field.
>
> I suppose it would be possible to add another option to the Parameter
> section of the GUI - feel free to open a Bugzilla enhancement request.

Thanks, I'll do that.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.