Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Konstantin Knauf <ko...@ververica.com> on 2019/05/20 17:13:44 UTC

[DISCUSS] FLIP to Restructure, Update & Rework Apache Flink's Documentation

Hi all,

following our unsuccessful application to Season of Docs Fabian, Seth,
Stephan and myself have drafted a FLIP for reworking our documentation and
implementing some (or most) of the changes, we would have liked to tackle
in SoD.

The overarching goals of the FLIP are:

* Top-level structure with clear separation of concerns

* Expand and restructure existing Concepts section

* Align Application Development with current state and Flink roadmap

* Improve documentation on Deployment & Operations

** *Improve getting-started experience

* Use of a common terminology

* Add a documentation style guide

It is quite an ambitions endeavor, but we can tackle these changes in
multiple phases and we will benefit from it even if the whole FLIP takes
some time to be implemented.

The whole description of the FLIP (proposed documentation structure &
sections, changes, implementation plan) is available on Google Docs [1] for
now for simplicity. I will move it to Confluence once we have reached
consensus.

Please let us know what you think and I am looking forward to your
feedback, opinions and comments on the proposal.

Cheers,

Konstantin

[1]
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pPM4vTWUUiJb73pd8OqHA1EWVl9cv6kXoCB5F7_J6gM/edit?usp=sharing

--

Konstantin Knauf | Solutions Architect

+49 160 91394525

Planned Absences: 20. - 21.06.2019

<https://www.ververica.com/>

Follow us @VervericaData

Conference

Data Artisans GmbH | Invalidenstrasse 115, 10115 Berlin, Germany

--
Data Artisans GmbH
Managing Directors: Dr. Kostas Tzoumas, Dr. Stephan Ewen

Re: [DISCUSS] FLIP to Restructure, Update & Rework Apache Flink's Documentation

Posted by Konstantin Knauf <ko...@ververica.com>.
Hi everyone,

thank you all for your comments. I agree with Fabian, there are a lot of
independent contributions subsumed in this FLIP (like Concepts or Getting
Started), which indepdently will already make a big difference for new
users.

It looks like overall, the FLIP is accepted. Therefore, I have moved the
FLIP into Confluence [1] (as FLIP-42) and created a JIRA ticket for it [2].
In the course of the day I will create a couple of sub-task tickets for the
first steps.

In the meantime, please feel free to reach out if you would like to
collaborate on this effort or would like to discuss it further.

Cheers,

Konstantin

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLINK/FLIP-42%3A+Rework+Flink+Documentation