Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Kristian Waagan <Kr...@Sun.COM> on 2006/06/26 15:40:28 UTC

Status of adding BOOLEAN-type (was: Re: Proposal for 10.2 release schedule)

Rick Hillegas wrote:
> Hi Kathey,
>
> Right now, I'm planning to back out BOOLEAN before the branch.

Hi Rick,

Does this mean the work already done for adding the BOOLEAN-type is not
appropriate for completion in 10.3 (or a later release)?

In case the work already done is to be discarded, can the reason(s)
behind this decision be (briefly) stated?

Kristian

Re: Status of adding BOOLEAN-type

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com>.
Argh - should have gone to derby-dev. stupid gmail.

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.
Hi  Kristian,

I have given up on re-enabling the BOOLEAN datatype in the near term,
for the following reasons:

1) I can't see when or whether the BOOLEAN datatype will make it into
the DRDA spec. After 9 months, the spec's governing body has failed to
revive. There seems to be very little industry interest in funding the
continuation of DRDA spec work.

2) The existing (10.1) behavior of Derby BOOLEAN violates the ANSI
casting rules. See DERBY-887. Fixing these casts will break Derby's ODBC
metadata and for that reason we suspect that customer applications will
break also. This appears to be the kind of compatibility issue which
requires a major rather than a minor release of Derby. I see the
following options:

 a) Expose a BOOLEAN datatype which does not conform to the ANSI spec.
 b) Break existing customer applications.
 c) Wait until the next major release of Derby before re-enabling BOOLEAN.

My vote would be for (2c) but I don't sense enough enthusiasm for
BOOLEAN to justify a major release in the near term.

Regards,
-Rick

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Moving this thread back to derby-dev. Kristian responded to a thread
that was inadvertently put on derby-user.

Let's please keep release discussions on derby-dev. This is where
planning and decisions belong.

thanks,

 -jean

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.