Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Erik Huelsmann <e....@gmx.net> on 2004/10/30 22:42:37 UTC

Fwd: failure notice (I'm pissed now)

Ok, now you really pissed me off:

- your tigris account is *not* xsteve
- your e-mail address in COMMITTERS is *not* valid
- psvn.el *does* contain your name and e-mail address
- looking at psvn.el logs after my previous post: you have been committing
patches written by others stating only their names, not e-mail addresses,
while we normally *do* do that in this project

*All* of the above is in violation with project procedure or ethics.

One more thing -if that's at all possible- and I'll have to propose commit
access revocation.

Erik.

--- Weitergeleitete Nachricht / Forwarded Message ---
Date: 30 Oct 2004 21:22:55 -0000
From: MAILER-DAEMON@mail.gmx.net
To: e.huelsmann@gmx.net
Subject: failure notice

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at mail.gmx.net.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work
out.

<re...@web.de>:
217.72.192.149_does_not_like_recipient./Remote_host_said:_550_<re...@web.de>_Benutzer_hat_zuviele_Mails_auf_dem_Server._/_User_has_too_many_messages_on_the_server./Giving_up_on_217.72.192.149./

Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 23:22:53 +0200 (MEST)
From: "Erik Huelsmann" <e....@gmx.net>
To: Stefan =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Reich=F6r?= <re...@web.de>,
 xsteve@tigris.org
Subject: Fwd: Re: svn commit: r11672 - trunk/contrib/client-side/psvn

Peter Lundblad points out you may not be on dev@, so I'm forwarding to your
tigris and private accounts.

bye,

Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 22:44:49 +0200 (MEST)
From: "Erik Huelsmann" <e....@gmx.net>
To: dev@subversion.tigris.org

Stefan,

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 14:45:00 -0500, xsteve@tigris.org <xs...@tigris.org>
wrote:
> Author: xsteve
> Date: Sat Oct 30 14:45:00 2004
> New Revision: 11672
>
> Modified:
>    trunk/contrib/client-side/psvn/psvn.el
> Log:
> Some patches from Richard Lewis
>
> * trunk/contrib/client-side/psvn/psvn.el:
>   - (svn-status-use-history) Report the error when we chose a
non-directory
>   - (svn-status-mouse-find-file-or-examine-directory): New command, bound
>      to mouse-2: just like svn-status-find-file-or-examine-directory
>   - (svn-status-mark-deleted): New command ,bound to '* D' to mark files
>      scheduled for deletion (similar to '* A' and '* M')
>   - (svn-status-mark-deleted): New command W bound to '* *' to mark files
>      modifed and files scheduled for addition and files scheduled for
>      deletion
>   - Moved "Mark" and "Unmark" to the "Mark/Unmark" submenu
>   - (svn-status-bury-buffer) Bury the *svn-log* buffer
>   - Modified a few docstrings

I'm starting to have a problem with this. (I also have a problem keeping a
nice tone in this mail.)

On numerous occasions you have been asked to commit with HACKING compliant
logs. C Mike told you to loose the dashes. Karl Fogel has told you to
correct some old commit logs. Looking back at the history of psvn.el there
are still an extreme number of non-compliant logs left. Correct this log.
All non-compliant ones in the past would be nice.

I really think you should start committing with compliant logs *now*. It's
not really hard, you know: Othes have been doing it for years.

bye,

Erik.

GMX DSL-Netzanschluss + Tarif zum supergünstigen Komplett-Preis!

Re: Fwd: failure notice (I'm pissed now)

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <e....@gmx.net>.
Hi Stefan,

> Ok, now you really pissed me off:
>
> - your tigris account is *not* xsteve
> - your e-mail address in COMMITTERS is *not* valid

I think I may owe an apology here.  As pointed out, your e-mail address in
COMMITTERS may be valid and besides that I could and should have written in
a different tone.  I should have looked at both mailer-deamon error
messages.

Erik.

GMX DSL-Netzanschluss + Tarif zum superg�nstigen Komplett-Preis!

Re: Fwd: failure notice (I'm pissed now)

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <e....@gmx.net>.
Hi Karl,

> "Erik Huelsmann" <e....@gmx.net> writes:
> > Ok, now you really pissed me off:

[ snip ]

> > *All* of the above is in violation with project procedure or ethics.
> >
> > One more thing -if that's at all possible- and I'll have to propose
> commit
> > access revocation.
>
> Oooh, ouch :-).
>
> This might be a *bit* harsh, Erik, although I agree with the some of
> content of what you are saying.  But not all.  Note that:
>
>   1. Quite a few of our contributed scripts have the author's name and
>      email addresses in them.  We've been okay with that, because they
>      really are developed in a different way than the rest of
>      Subversion.  (The "territoriality cost" is lower, while the
>      "contactability" benefit is arguably higher.)

Well I don't agree with the 'territoriality cost' being lower since we want
*all* of Subversion to be as good as it can be, not only the core part.  If
someone has the skills to co-maintain a something in contrib/, then (s)he
should feel invited to do so.  On the other hand, I do agree with the
contactability benefit, so I guess we'll leave it at that.

>   2. Yes, we want the tigris account name to be the same as the SVN
>      committer name.  But it would be reasonable to blame me, or
>      whoever, for not having noticed the discrepancy, since we were
>      the ones who set up the SVN commit account.  (The requirement was
>      not even documented until fairly recently, as I recall.)

This is why I wrote 'procedure or ethics': The project is filled with
examples of how to do things right.  Our standards are high, meaning that
there are only a little number of places where things are not as they should
be.

>   3. We haven't been perfectly consistent about including the email
>      addresses as well as the names of contributors whose patches we
>      apply.  If Stefan was simply using the logs as an example, he
>      could have been guided either way.  Sure, *most* contribution
>      commits include an email address, but check out r10889, r10791,
>      r10773, r10690, r10389, r10217, r9894... among many others.
>
>      We simply cannot get mad at Stefan for failing to follow an
>      undocumented guideline that was always inconsistently applied.

That's the problem with ethics, not everybody stays in line.  But I would
say there are enough examples between HEAD and 9894 to outweigh the few you
pointed out.  Anybody looking at the last 100 trunk commit logs would have
to conclude that usually e-mail addresses *are* part of the attribution.
Even amongst committers e-mail addresses are added: that sure should be a
strong hint.

> The core of your complaint is about log formatting, and I agree Stefan
> should start formatting the log messages in the usual style (and fix
> the old ones).  However, this hardly rises to the level of commit
> access revocation -- and the fact that his mail bounced doesn't
> amplify the offense, even if it did make your life a bit inconvenient.

Alright.  It being morning now, I'm somewhat milder.  You're right that the
mail part does not amplify the offense of log formatting.  It was the
cumulation which made me bring that part in.  But I can't remember one log
message being correctly formatted at commit time since I joined the project.
 Ok, so his commit rate is low. That does not make it alright to just commit
and see if a committer complains.

I guess my point is: how many times do you get to do it incorrect before
it's decided you just can't do it?

> Stefan, could you please fix your email address in COMMITTERS, fix up
> this log message, and fix up previous log messages?

Heh. That last part is even *stronger* than what I said :-)

bye,

Erik.

--
Geschenkt: 3 Monate GMX ProMail + 3 Top-Spielfilme auf DVD
++ Jetzt kostenlos testen http://www.gmx.net/de/go/mail ++

Re: Fwd: failure notice (I'm pissed now)

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.
kfogel@collab.net writes:

>   2. Yes, we want the tigris account name to be the same as the SVN
>      committer name.  But it would be reasonable to blame me, or
>      whoever, for not having noticed the discrepancy, since we were
>      the ones who set up the SVN commit account.  (The requirement was
>      not even documented until fairly recently, as I recall.)

Your recollection jives with mine, Karl.

Re: Fwd: failure notice (I'm pissed now)

Posted by Bruce Elrick <br...@elrick.ca>.
kfogel@collab.net wrote:

>"Erik Huelsmann" <e....@gmx.net> writes:
>

>>Ok, now you really pissed me off:
>>
>>- your tigris account is *not* xsteve
>>- your e-mail address in COMMITTERS is *not* valid
>>

>Stefan, could you please fix your email address in COMMITTERS, fix up
>this log message, and fix up previous log messages?
>
>Thanks,
>-Karl

In what way is his email address in COMMITTERS invalid?   It has:

       xsteve   Stefan Reichör <reichoer@web.de <ma...@web.de>>      (psvn)
And the bounce has:
217.72.192.149_does_not_like_recipient./Remote_host_said:_550_<re...@web.de>_Benutzer_hat_zuviele_Mails_auf_dem_Server.
_/_User_has_too_many_messages_on_the_server./Giving_up_on_217.72.192.149./

Which to me means his mailbox is filled.  That is not the same as the address not being valid.

Did you guys read the error messages?

Cheers...
Bruce

[OT] Re: Fwd: failure notice (I'm no longer pissed)

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com>.
By the way, that subject line is slightly amusing here in England, where "I'm
pissed" usually means "I'm drunk" :-)

(We normally say "pissed off" for "really annoyed", but I understood your
meaning and have heard it expressed that way before.  It's probably different
in American English, Australian English, and so on.)

- Julian

Re: Fwd: failure notice (I'm no longer pissed)

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <e....@gmx.net>.
> > Sure. As far as I can tell, nobody opened a tigris account by the handle
> > xsteve yet, so just open the account and fill out your new mail address.
>
> Thanks for the information. I signed up as xsteve now. So now I
> receive the emails for xsteve@tigris.org also ;-)

I'm glad it's all sorted out now!

bye,

Erik.

Posted by Stefan Reichör <st...@xsteve.at>.
"Erik Huelsmann" <e....@gmx.net> writes:

> Hi Stefan,
>
> > I know, that many people are happy users of my emacs mode.
>
> And, although I did not mention it in my previous mail, your contributions
> are much appreciated.

Thanks.

> > I lost the access (password) to my web.de account. I asked Karl to
> > change it to a valid address on 25th May. He told me, he couldn't
> > change it. So it stayed the old (no longer usable web.de address).
> >
> > Can someone update my account information?
>

> [ snip ]
>
> > > Stefan, could you please fix your email address in COMMITTERS, fix up
> > > this log message, and fix up previous log messages?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > -Karl
> >
> > Do I have the access rights to edit the COMMITTERS file?
>
> You certainly have the rights to adjust your own data in the COMMITTERS
> file, so if you want to change your e-mail address or add the Umlaut to your
> name, be my guest (as long as you use UTF-8 character encoding :-).

I updated the information in the COMMITTERS file.

> [ snip reference to old messages ]
>
> > Sorry Erik, I didn't receive that mail until now. Is it possible to
> > forward the xsteve@tigris.org mails to my valid email? That way I
> > would get such hints earlier.
>
> Sure. As far as I can tell, nobody opened a tigris account by the handle
> xsteve yet, so just open the account and fill out your new mail address.

Thanks for the information. I signed up as xsteve now. So now I
receive the emails for xsteve@tigris.org also ;-)

Stefan.

Re: Fwd: failure notice (I'm no longer pissed)

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com>.
If you want to be really neat, there are a few little irregularities remaining,
including how much you indent the continuation lines after a "(foo):" line -
sometimes by one space, sometimes not at all - two spaces would be nice.

Missing colon --------------^

>>  (svn-status-mouse-find-file-or-examine-directory): New command, bound
>>   to mouse-2: just like svn-status-find-file-or-examine-directory
>>  (svn-status-mark-deleted): New command ,bound to '* D' to mark files
>>   scheduled for deletion (similar to '* A' and '* M')
>>  (svn-status-mark-deleted): New command W bound to '* *' to mark files
>>   modifed and files scheduled for addition and files scheduled for
>>   deletion
>>  (svn-status-bury-buffer) Bury the *svn-log* buffer

Missing colon --------------^

>>r11476 | xsteve | 2004-10-18 21:35:38 +0200 (Mon, 18 Oct 2004) | 4 lines
>>
>>The files are now highlighted, when the mouse is over them.
>>
>>* trunk/contrib/client-side/psvn/psvn.el:
>>  (svn-add-face): Add a mouse-face to highlight the string, if the mouse
>>is over it.

Please keep lines less than 80 characters long.

>>r11370 | xsteve | 2004-10-13 22:41:00 +0200 (Wed, 13 Oct 2004) | 4 lines
>>
>>Fixed another bug in the new fast commit functionality
>>
>>* trunk/contrib/client-side/psvn/psvn.el:
>>  The last fix does not work very well. Added another fix to improve the
>>situation.

... and here

>>r11369 | xsteve | 2004-10-13 22:38:25 +0200 (Wed, 13 Oct 2004) | 6 lines
>>
>>Fixed a bug in the new fast commit functionality
>>
>>* trunk/contrib/client-side/psvn/psvn.el:
>>  (svn-status-parse-commit-output): Skip the leading directory,
>>  if the commit was sent for the . entry in the *svn-status* buffer

>>r11368 | xsteve | 2004-10-13 22:15:54 +0200 (Wed, 13 Oct 2004) | 6 lines
>>
>>Added a popup menu on mouse-3
>>
>>* trunk/contrib/client-side/psvn/psvn.el:
>>  (svn-status-popup-menu): new function.
>>  (svn-status-face-set-temporary-during-popup): helper function for
>>svn-status-popup-menu.

... and here

>>r11245 | xsteve | 2004-10-05 21:05:05 +0200 (Tue, 05 Oct 2004) | 14 lines
>>
>>Speedup for svn commit operation, because svn status is not run after a
>>commit.
>>
>>* trunk/contrib/client-side/psvn/psvn.el:
>>  (svn-status-line-info->set-propmark, svn-status-line-info->set-localrev,
>>  svn-status-line-info->set-lastchangerev): new functions to allow the
>>  modification of the svn-status-info data structure.
>>  (svn-status-update-with-command-list): New function to apply a list of
>>changes

... and here

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <e....@gmx.net>.
Hi Stefan,

> I know, that many people are happy users of my emacs mode.

And, although I did not mention it in my previous mail, your contributions
are much appreciated.

> I lost the access (password) to my web.de account. I asked Karl to
> change it to a valid address on 25th May. He told me, he couldn't
> change it. So it stayed the old (no longer usable web.de address).
>
> Can someone update my account information?

[ snip ]

> > Stefan, could you please fix your email address in COMMITTERS, fix up
> > this log message, and fix up previous log messages?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > -Karl
>
> Do I have the access rights to edit the COMMITTERS file?

You certainly have the rights to adjust your own data in the COMMITTERS
file, so if you want to change your e-mail address or add the Umlaut to your
name, be my guest (as long as you use UTF-8 character encoding :-).

[ snip reference to old messages ]

> Sorry Erik, I didn't receive that mail until now. Is it possible to
> forward the xsteve@tigris.org mails to my valid email? That way I
> would get such hints earlier.

Sure. As far as I can tell, nobody opened a tigris account by the handle
xsteve yet, so just open the account and fill out your new mail address.

> Regarding the wrong formatting of the log messages:
> * I use the hyphen formatting for my personal projects. So it is kind
>   of a hardwired habit.
> * I didn't use the hyphen in r11476, r11370, ...
> * I just forgot about it in r11672 - sorry. I will fix it.

Ok, well, ofcourse that can happen.  To me it looked like you were just not
caring and waiting for some committer to complain before fixing them up.
That looks a lot different now.

> Please tell me, if the following log messages comply with your standards:

They absolutely do.  Thank you for taking the time to change them.  I
sincerely hope you will keep contributing to the project.  Good editor
extensions as yours help speed up the adoption of Subversion.

Please keep up the good work!

bye,

Erik.

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
Stefan Reichör <st...@xsteve.at> writes:
> Do I have the access rights to edit the COMMITTERS file?

By the way, yes you do -- you can update your email address anytime
you need to.

-Karl

Re: Fwd: failure notice (I'm pissed now)

Posted by Stefan Reichör <st...@xsteve.at>.
kfogel@collab.net writes:

> "Erik Huelsmann" <e....@gmx.net> writes:
> > Ok, now you really pissed me off:
> >
> > - your tigris account is *not* xsteve
> > - your e-mail address in COMMITTERS is *not* valid
> > - psvn.el *does* contain your name and e-mail address
> > - looking at psvn.el logs after my previous post: you have been committing
> > patches written by others stating only their names, not e-mail addresses,
> > while we normally *do* do that in this project
> >
> > *All* of the above is in violation with project procedure or ethics.
> >
> > One more thing -if that's at all possible- and I'll have to propose commit
> > access revocation.
>
> Oooh, ouch :-).

I second that.

I put psvn.el a long time ago in the subversion repository.
At the moment I don't have the time to follow the subversion mailing
lists. Nor do I read the commit mails of the other project members.