Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com> on 2012/03/20 12:47:22 UTC

Lose Weight Program for OFBiz - guiapp and pos

> A) move framework/guiapp out of the framework; after all these years no code made advantage of it being part of the framework and it is only used by the specialpurpose/pos component (which was the component for which it was built for); so guiapp can go in the pos component
>
> B) specialpurpose/pos: move to "Extras"

No one objected so far; Jacques offered his help for #A.
Should we focus on #A for now (it is an actionable item) and then discuss #B also based on the outcome of similar discussions for other specialpurpose components?

Re: Lose Weight Program for OFBiz - guiapp and pos

Posted by Divesh Dutta <di...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
I second with Scott. I would like to see E-commerce component in Special Purpose because that is the most commonly used component and its code should be well managed. Lots of people see E-commerce as reference application made on top of OFBiz. So having  Ecommerce's code managed by Committers is good idea.

+1 for moving POS in Extras.

Thanks
--
Divesh

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Makes sense

Posted by Nicolas Malin <ma...@librenberry.net>.
enthusiasm is the word :) .

The Lose Weight Program is a great lead for future, I understand that
some people (and some customer) are afraid by this change.
So we would tend to rise over the benefits of an organization whereby we
have been working on for some years with Apache OFBiz and justifypassage
of several component extras.

Thanks for the reminding Jacopo to stop the flood and refocus threads.

I looked forward to opening the thread, how to manage migration and how
to manage extrascomponents from Apache OFBiz.
Nicolas

--
Nicolas MALIN
Consultant

Re: Lose Weight Program for OFBiz - guiapp and pos

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Olivier Heintz <ho...@nereide.biz>.
Le 21/03/2012 21:56, Jacques Le Roux a écrit :
> From: "Olivier Heintz" <ho...@nereide.biz>
>> Le 21/03/2012 19:02, Jacques Le Roux a écrit :
>>> From: "Olivier Heintz" <ho...@nereide.biz>

>>> What are exactly Apache-OFbiz-SubProject  and Apache-OFBiz official
>>> plug-in in your mind?
>>> specialpurpose components?
>> not, maybe a directory a the same level as ofbiz in the svn
>> repository, and plug-in manager will be able to download it to
>> hot-deploy (or specialpurpose) and maybe update some file which is
>> needed (ex: add some target in ofbiz build.xml)
>> goals is
>> - easy install process
>> - svn repository and comitters are from Apache-OFBiz
>
> I see , sounds like something possbile as long the license is
> respected. The level would be the same than trunk of branches
> ie under https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ofbiz and could be /plugin
>
> To be discussed futher by the community, versionning comes OOTB, but
> being in sync with releases and trunk would be another beast. I guess
> you have your tools for that, license?
Apache 2.0 of course (as it's explain in the mail "OFBiz Plugin
Management, status and propositions" ;-)

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
From: "Olivier Heintz" <ho...@nereide.biz>

Posted by Olivier Heintz <ho...@nereide.biz>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
From: "Olivier Heintz" <ho...@nereide.biz>

Posted by Olivier Heintz <ho...@nereide.biz>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
From: "Jacopo Cappellato" <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>

Posted by Olivier Heintz <ho...@nereide.biz>.
Le 21/03/2012 17:40, Jacopo Cappellato a écrit :
> On Mar 21, 2012, at 5:26 PM, Olivier Heintz wrote:
>
>> +1 for ProjectMgr as a Apache-OFBiz plug-in, not out of Apache-OFBiz
>>
>> ps: most of our(the company I'm working for) future contribution will be complete Projectmgr migration to portlet ;-)
> Just to avoid any confusion:
> * with this +1 you are asking to keep projectmgr as it is now (specialpurpose)
no
> * we do not have "official Apache subprojects" in the small OFBiz community because they could be an overkill for what we do (subprojects needs PMC etc...) and we should be careful to even evaluate this path because it will add a lot of "paperwork" to our daily processes
ok
> * transforming the architecture of the component(s) to enable plug-in can be discussed, even if in some ways they are already plugins; but I am wide open to discuss/evaluate your new proposals even if this discussion should be kept separate from the current thread
I have started a dedicated thread about it 3 days ago (OFBiz Plugin
Management, status and propositions) ;-)

a plug-in repository is a directory, so it's possible to add it in svn
repository in the same level that ofbiz, (if it's authorized by Apache
rules)

IMO it's important to say to the community that, for example projectmgr
is still in the Apache-OFBiz project even if it's necessary to do
something after downloading ofbiz to install more "things"

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
As a next step, after all these threads about the slim down will settle down, we should probably, as a community, start to prepare the plan of action, aka roadmap (we could use Jira for it): add there all the actionable tasks coming out of this discussions; then, in these mailing lists we should also start to discuss, as a community, what are the other priorities/goals for the next few months of the project. We should probably start slowly with some cleanup tasks and refactoring of old code, bug fixes etc... but we could also come up with some more interesting priorities (like JCR or reporting tools): then, based on the priorities identified by the community we will start to explore how to design them; if an agreement is found we will add the tasks to the roadmap as well; then we will have a clear and shared plan of actions to keep us all busy for a while
If migration to portlets will be a priority item is something that should be discussed with the community: the community is small and it should stay focused on a few key goals at the time; if the community will decide that the migration to portlets is something desirable then we will definitely explore this concept.

Jacopo

Posted by "Pierre @GMail" <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Olivier,

Posted by Olivier Heintz <ho...@nereide.biz>.