Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Hu, Meng P (Meng Pei)" <me...@lucent.com> on 2002/04/29 21:23:08 UTC

Apache 1.3.22 Basic Authentication

Hi,

i followed the Apache HTTP Server document to setup the basic authentication
work on my Apache server with SSL. The following are the procedures :

1. Create a password file. I can see the file contains username and
encrypted password.
>htpasswd -c /etc/security/local_passwd Admin

2. Configure the httpsd.conf file.
<Directory /apache/htdoc>
	AuthName "Login Site"
	AuthType Basic
	AuthUserFile /etc/security/local_passwd
	Require	valid-user
</Directory>

But, i won't be able to login by entering correct username and password. The
error message in httpsd_error_log is :
"user Admin authentication failure for /index.html : password mismatch"

Did i miss anything ?

Thanks,
mengpei

Re: Apache 1.3.22 Basic Authentication

Posted by Owen Boyle <ob...@bourse.ch>.
"Hu, Meng P (Meng Pei)" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i followed the Apache HTTP Server document to setup the basic authentication
> work on my Apache server with SSL. The following are the procedures :
>
> 1. Create a password file. I can see the file contains username and
> encrypted password.
> >htpasswd -c /etc/security/local_passwd Admin
>
> 2. Configure the httpsd.conf file.
> <Directory /apache/htdoc>
>         AuthName "Login Site"
>         AuthType Basic
>         AuthUserFile /etc/security/local_passwd
>         Require valid-user
> </Directory>
>
> But, i won't be able to login by entering correct username and password. The
> error message in httpsd_error_log is :
> "user Admin authentication failure for /index.html : password mismatch"
>
> Did i miss anything ?

Are you *really* sure you are typing in the correct password (correct
case etc...). to check, remake the passwd file with a REALLY easy
password, like "abcdef".

Rgds,

Owen Boyle.