Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Steven Gill <st...@gmail.com> on 2015/05/13 19:20:34 UTC

[DISCUSS] Dropping the -dev suffix

Recently, a issue (CB-9021) popped up where mobile spec was failing because
the semver check failed on a platform due to `-dev` being in the version
and not valid.

I think we should remove -dev from our versions. Right now, after we do a
release, we add -dev to show that the repo is in development and hasn't
been released. I think we can accomplish the same by just bumping the
version (minor?) in the package.json and just know it isn't released by
seeing what is published on npm.

Thoughts?

RE: [DISCUSS] Dropping the -dev suffix

Posted by "So, Byoungro" <by...@intel.com>.
Semver should be able to understand '4.0.0-dev' as the valid version string.
There could be some other requirement problems, like <=, >.
For example, 4.0.0-dev is < 4.0.0.
So, if the requirement is >=4.0.0, then the version string '4.0.0-dev' will fail to satisfy the requirement.

Byoungro So
SSG / DPD / Mobile Computing and Compilers
Intel Corporation

Posted by Steven Gill <st...@gmail.com>.
switching engine to >=4.0 (no patch version) seems to make the most sense
for this problem.

Posted by Nikhil Khandelwal <ni...@microsoft.com>.
As a committer working on the master branch using npm link, it has been useful to have '-dev' prefix and do a "cordova --version".

I vote for (3).

Thanks,
Nikhil

Posted by "Vladimir Kotikov (Akvelon)" <v-...@microsoft.com>.
Hey, guys.

[...]

---------------
Best regards, Vladimir

Posted by Jesse <pu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jesse <pu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jesse <pu...@gmail.com>.
Yes, I just verified the same.

Posted by Tim Barham <Ti...@microsoft.com>.

Posted by Jesse <pu...@gmail.com>.
It is and it is failing currently. In the file-transfer plugin [1]
<engine name="cordova-wp8" version=">=4.0.0"/>
Failed to install 'cordova-plugin-file-transfer':CordovaError: Plugin
doesn't support this project's cordova-wp8 version. cordova-wp8: 4.0.0-dev,
failed version requirement: 1.0.0
which fails in plugman install [2]

On closer inspection, this appears to be an issue with plugman, and not our
use of semver. I'll look more.

[1]
https://github.com/apache/cordova-plugin-file-transfer/blob/master/plugin.xml#L36
[2]
https://github.com/apache/cordova-lib/blob/master/cordova-lib/src/plugman/install.js#L108

@purplecabbage
risingj.com

Posted by Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org>.
I think -dev is working fine and doing what it's supposed to do. The logic
of -label is subtle:

> var sem = require('semver')
undefined
> sem.satisfies('4.0.0-dev', '>=4.0.0')