Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com> on 2012/01/22 15:53:13 UTC

[RESCINDED ]Re: [VOTE] Release Apache httpd 2.4.0

I am rescinding the vote for 2.4.0. Instead, on Monday (or
Tuesday at the latest) I will T&R 2.4.1.

I will keep these test tarballs around so that Windows
users have access to them in case any win users or devs
have the time or talents to address the open issues.

Re: [RESCINDED ]Re: [VOTE] Release Apache httpd 2.4.0

Posted by Stefan Fritsch <sf...@sfritsch.de>.
On Sunday 29 January 2012, Michael Felt wrote:
> Um. Now that I am back from vacation - I am aware you are busy with
> a known bug (core issue), but would still be nice to have a
> 2.4.0/2.4.1 "something" to test-build with (for AIX).
>
> In other words, in the /dev/dist directory I only find the 2.2.22
> images.

I have restored the 2.4.0 tarballs for now

Re: [RESCINDED ]Re: [VOTE] Release Apache httpd 2.4.0

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
On 1/30/2012 7:24 AM, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> On Jan 29, 2012, at 8:22 PM, Noel Butler wrote:

>>> The right answer would be to have snapshots to share, but AFAIK we no
>>> longer create them?
>>
>> I think if it was, then more testing could be done and the debacle of 2.4.0 _might_ not have happened
>>

> If people didn't test formally announced *betas*, I have significant
> doubts that they would test snapshots.
>
> But that's just imo.

Agreed.  However, some person just asked and we had none, so don't be
all too pessimistic :)

Re: [RESCINDED ]Re: [VOTE] Release Apache httpd 2.4.0

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
On Jan 31, 2012, at 11:59 AM, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:

>>> That doesn't mean early adopters don't seek out version control or
>>> snapshots of the current state of software.  I'm pretty sure you've
>>> lived on the bleeding edge of one system package or another.
>>
>> Yep... It's called either 'svn update' or 'git pull' :)
>
> Which... doesn't correspond to a tarball.  We have autobuilds working
> in several places now, how difficult might it be to tar up a snapshot
> during the post-buildconf phase of such a CI build?

You mentioned 'seek out version control or snapshots'... I simply
replied that we do provide what they seek.

Again, I don't like the idea of snapshots: they are too easy
to abuse and if the whole reason behind it is to "encourage"
easier testing, then I would say that recent history indicates
otherwise. We had several formally announced betas which were
otherwise ignored, so expecting un-announced snapshots which
carry no mark of stability *at all* to somehow change that seem
ludicrous. People don't test betas but they will test snapshots?
I just don't see it.

Re: [RESCINDED ]Re: [VOTE] Release Apache httpd 2.4.0

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jagunet.com>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Noel Butler <no...@ausics.net>.

Re: Rename apachectl prior to 2.4.1 tag?

Posted by Stefan Fritsch <sf...@sfritsch.de>.
On Monday 30 January 2012, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:
> On 1/30/2012 3:12 PM, Stefan Fritsch wrote:
> > And there is apachectl, not httpdctl.
>
> Would anyone else like to see this changed, now, for the 2.4
> releases?

FTR, I am also -0 to this change right now.

Re: Rename apachectl prior to 2.4.1 tag?

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
> On 1/30/2012 3:12 PM, Stefan Fritsch wrote:
>>
>> And there is apachectl, not httpdctl.
>
> Would anyone else like to see this changed, now, for the 2.4 releases?

-0.5

Rainer

Re: Rename apachectl prior to 2.4.1 tag?

Posted by Noel Butler <no...@ausics.net>.
On Mon, 2012-01-30 at 15:53 -0600, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:

> On 1/30/2012 3:12 PM, Stefan Fritsch wrote:
> >
> > And there is apachectl, not httpdctl.
>
> Would anyone else like to see this changed, now, for the 2.4 releases?

No...   Maybe that's a consideration for 3.stable-release, if at all,
personally I wouldn't want to see it change, but hard to teach old dogs
new tricks sometimes

Re: Rename apachectl prior to 2.4.1 tag?

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 4:53 PM, William A. Rowe Jr.
<wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> On 1/30/2012 3:12 PM, Stefan Fritsch wrote:
>>
>> And there is apachectl, not httpdctl.
>
> Would anyone else like to see this changed, now, for the 2.4 releases?

-0

Rename apachectl prior to 2.4.1 tag?

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by Stefan Fritsch <sf...@sfritsch.de>.
On Monday 30 January 2012, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:
> On 1/30/2012 4:31 AM, Noel Butler wrote:
> > On Mon, 2012-01-30 at 11:03 +0100, Michael Felt wrote:
> >>     prefix:        /opt/apache2
> >>     exec_prefix:   /opt/apache2
> >
> > I have often ponderd WHY people do things like this, the projects
> > name is apache, not apache2

Maybe because the default prefix is still /usr/local/apache2? Not sure
what it should be, maybe /usr/local/apache-httpd? But that's something
for 2.6/3.0.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
On Jan 30, 2012, at 7:21 PM, Michael Felt wrote:

> I had "assummed" that apache2 was so that people could test apache2 without killing their apache"1" installation.

And you are correct...

Back in the day, we used 'apache' as the name of the web-server
("Powered by Apache" anyone?), and so that artifact existed long
long ago. Even distributions were called apache (apache_*).
And we also have apachectl and apxs and dozens of other
such uses, deprecated though the are, of using "apache" where
we really should be using "httpd"

Like our appendix, these are all artifacts of our evolution...

Re: [RESCINDED ]Re: [VOTE] Release Apache httpd 2.4.0

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
On 1/30/2012 6:21 PM, Michael Felt wrote:
> I had "assummed" that apache2 was so that people could test apache2 without killing their
> apache"1" installation.

Fairly certain that was true.  Of course moving from 2.0-2.2-2.4 that
is no longer much help.

Anyways, just wanted to let you know there is a list for precisely these
sorts of discussions, packagers@httpd.apache.org, where you'll find some
folks from all sorts of different environments.  Might be useful for
comparing notes.

We post binaries only from committers to httpd.  We are happy to work in
any platform-arch specific files much like you'll find the rpm.spec file
in httpd.  Hope that answers your earlier question.

Re: [RESCINDED ]Re: [VOTE] Release Apache httpd 2.4.0

Posted by Michael Felt <ma...@gmail.com>.
I had "assummed" that apache2 was so that people could test apache2 without
killing their apache"1" installation.

IMHO IBM's packaging of early apache (called IHS for - I think IBM HTTP
Server) was 'different' and they kept changing the name of the main
directory, e.g. changed the capitalization of the directory. Initially it
was something like /usr/HTTPServer/... -- I could never remember the
changes.

Not wanting to go off topic - this is related to my current working layout
for AIX -
Starting with AIX 5.0 (the beta version) IBM started using /opt as an
additional directory
for software packages - and these were "mainly" the RPM Linix Affinity
packages (aka RPM support). The formal definition I do not know. However,
as an observer I see that /usr and /opt are treated in WPAR (workload
partitions) as "compareable" because they are both considered to be common
to ALL AIX servers at a particiular TLSP (Technology Level + Service Pack).
Hence, they are mounted as read-only file systems in the WPAR.
/var is used in several ways. Traditionally for logging, but recently more
tools are storing data there as well.

Hence my preference for, if possible, a clear split between files meant to
be read-only/common to all installations and "installation variables".

Note also I am putting the man pages in the standard AIX manual location
(/usr/share/man) rather than in /*/apache2/* areas. Installed in that
location they are automatically available to the man command, i.e. without
any addition to a MANPATH variable.

Question: is any further discussion of an AIX layout "worthy/useful" in a
separate thread? (my original question has been answered I think as a yes -
do an AIX package).

If yes, the packaging tool is less important (to me). Initially, I am more
interested in feedback aka project decisions about the most manageable
organization for multiple instances (with System WPAR being a means to
generate additional instances).

Posted by Noel Butler <no...@ausics.net>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
On 1/30/2012 4:31 AM, Noel Butler wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-01-30 at 11:03 +0100, Michael Felt wrote:
>
>>     prefix:        /opt/apache2
>>     exec_prefix:   /opt/apache2
>
> I have often ponderd WHY people do things like this, the projects name is apache, not apache2

No, it isn't.  Apache is the name of the foundation, and one word
of the project's title.

The project is Apache HTTP Server.  Simply put, httpd.  If you want
to label it as 24, that would be /opt/httpd24.

Our Netware distribution has this mistake, still.  I hope this
is corrected with version 2.4.

Our package names are all httpd-n.n.n.tar.gz etc.

Unless you want a crazy tree of /opt/apache/httpd[/][##]/...

Re: [RESCINDED ]Re: [VOTE] Release Apache httpd 2.4.0

Posted by Noel Butler <no...@ausics.net>.

Posted by Michael Felt <ma...@gmail.com>.
you might want to consider changing the meaning of "+" from apache2 to
httpd :)

Now I am using /var/httpd and /etc/httpd rather than /var+ and /etc+

Posted by Michael Felt <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.

Posted by Michael Felt <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.

Posted by Michael Felt <ma...@gmail.com>.
I have been adding this to the config.layout
#   Adopt layout using /opt (read-only) filesystem conventions on AIX
#       Standard executables in /opt (shareable)
#       man pages at AIX standard location (/usr/share/man)
#       editable files, scripts in /etc and /var
<Layout AIX>
    prefix:        /opt/apache2
    exec_prefix:   /opt/apache2
    bindir:        ${exec_prefix}/bin
    sbindir:       ${exec_prefix}/sbin
    libdir:        ${exec_prefix}/lib
    libexecdir:    ${exec_prefix}/libexec
    mandir:        /usr/share/man
    sysconfdir:    /etc+
    datadir:       /var+
    installbuilddir: ${datadir}/build
    errordir:      ${datadir}/error
    iconsdir:      ${datadir}/icons
    htdocsdir:     ${datadir}/htdocs
    manualdir:     ${datadir}/manual
    cgidir:        ${datadir}/cgi-bin
    includedir:    ${prefix}/include
    localstatedir: /var+
    runtimedir:    ${localstatedir}/run
    logfiledir:    ${localstatedir}/logs
    proxycachedir: ${localstatedir}/proxy
</Layout>

I am hoping that this will work well supporting WPAR environments as well:

/opt, ideally, works read-only for multiple systems
/etc and /var are local to regular systems (stand-alone and LPAR servers)

So, my question about this proposed layout: are there any files in /opt
that need to be modified on a "per-system" basis?

Finally, as a distributeable I would be creating an "installp", or AIX
legacy package as this, imho, works better than RPM on AIX (and I know it
better ;) )

regards,
Michael

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.

Posted by Michael Felt <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Guenter Knauf <fu...@apache.org>.

Betreff: http://svn.apache.org/snapshots turned off
Datum: Wed, 2 Nov 2011 11:45:38 -0700 (PDT)
Von: Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>
Antwort an: Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>
An: Apache Infrastructure <in...@apache.org>

After starting the migration to having svn serviced
with 1.7.0 a few weeks ago, we inadvertently broke
the ancient snapshot service on svn.apache.org.
Now is therefore as good a time as any to finally
deactivate it, so I've gone ahead and done that.

Development communities who still require periodic
snapshots of svn should setup a build service (either
buildbot or jenkins) to do that.  People wishing to
retain such a service in order to make it available
to the general public are simply out of luck as such
people are effectively trying to route around ASF policy
regarding releases.

Pass this info along as necessary.

Re: [RESCINDED ]Re: [VOTE] Release Apache httpd 2.4.0

Posted by Guenter Knauf <fu...@apache.org>.
Am 29.01.2012 20:19, schrieb William A. Rowe Jr.:
> On 1/29/2012 4:21 AM, Michael Felt wrote:
>> Um. Now that I am back from vacation - I am aware you are busy with a known bug (core
>> issue), but would still be nice to have a 2.4.0/2.4.1 "something" to test-build with (for
>> AIX).
>
> The right answer would be to have snapshots to share, but AFAIK we no
> longer create them?
>
> https://www.google.com/search?q=httpd+snapshot+site:apache.org
>
> doesn't give me hints.

here are mine:
http://people.apache.org/~fuankg/snapshots/

Gün.

Re: [RESCINDED ]Re: [VOTE] Release Apache httpd 2.4.0

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by Michael Felt <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stefan Fritsch <sf...@sfritsch.de>.