Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Yvonne Wiberg <yv...@telia.com> on 2014/04/12 17:53:48 UTC

Question

Hello,

On my former computer I installed Open Office and I was able to save my
documents in .doc and .xls-format etc.
Then I was able to open the documents in the formats without any problems and
I was able to edit the documents.

Now I have got a new computer and once again I have installed Open Office.
This time I am able to save documents in .doc and .xls, but then when I try to
open the document the computer tells me that "this is an Office-document, you
must purchase Office and install it on your computer to be able to open the
document".

Why does this problem occur now on my new computer?
Doesn´t Open Office work as before any longer? Aren´t you allowed anymore to
save documents in .doc and .xls and then be able to work with the documents?

Thank you for your kind help in solving this problem.
It must still be possible to save documents in e g .doc-format and then be
able to edit the document, otherwise I do not see the purpose with Open Office
anymore.

Kind regards,
Yvonne Wiberg

Re: Question

Posted by Peter Junge <pe...@gmx.org>.
On 13/04/14 02:20, M Henri Day wrote:
> 014-04-12 20:02 GMT+02:00 japples <ja...@europa.com>:
>
>> It was so kind of you to try to help, Henri.  Now translate your helpful
>> tips into English (default language of this mailing list).
>>
>> I will be getting a new system soon and would appreciate the answer to
>> Yvonne query.
>>
>> Jack

>>> ​Hej Yvonne !
>>>
>>> Du har tydligen köpt en dator med Win8/8.1 installerat, som försöker lura
>>> Dig att skaffa Microsoft Office.
>>> ​G​ö​r i stället så ​här :
>>>
>>>     1.
>>>
>>>     Peka mot det övre högra hörnet av skärmen, rör muspekaren nedåt,
>>> klickar
>>>     på »Inställningar« (den nedersta knappen - kugghjulet) i
>>>     snabbknappsfältet som då dyker upp och sedan på »Ändra
>>>     datorinställningar«.
>>>     2.
>>>
>>>     Klicka på »Sök och appar« i vänsterpanelen i de nya fönstret och sedan
>>>     3. Välj OpenOffice Writer för .doc-, .docx- filer och OpenOffice Calc
>>>     för xls- och xlsx-filer. Då kommer dessa filtyper att automatiskt
>>> öppnas i
>>>     de nämnda OpenOffice-program....
>>>
>>> Lycka till !
>>>
>>> Henri
>>>

> Your irony is overwhelming, Jack. I suggest you try Google Translate....

Hi Henri,

To add a moderators point of view here. Jack is correct that the default
language of this mailing list is English. You may send bi-lingual
replies if it seems useful.

Peter

Re: Question

Posted by M Henri Day <mh...@gmail.com>.

Re: Question

Posted by japples <ja...@europa.com>.

Re: Question

Posted by M Henri Day <mh...@gmail.com>.

Re: Question

Posted by Alan B <ab...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Apr 12, 2014 at 11:53 AM, Yvonne Wiberg
<yv...@telia.com>wrote:

> On my former computer I installed Open Office and I was able to save my
> documents in .doc and .xls-format etc.
> Then I was able to open the documents in the formats without any problems
> and
> I was able to edit the documents.

Double-clicking on the file's icon opened the file?

> This time I am able to save documents in .doc and .xls, but then when I
> try to
> open the document the computer tells me that "this is an Office-document,
> you
> must purchase Office and install it on your computer to be able to open the

Similar question, double-clicking on the file's icon displays the message
you're describing?

> Why does this problem occur now on my new computer?

If the answer to both questions is yes then I think the new computer might
have come with a trial install of MS Office and the old did not. If this is
correct a double-click on the file's icon on the old computer caused the
file to be loaded into OpenOffice. On the new computer the trial version of
MS Office is attempting to open the file when it is double-clicked.

This can be further tested by opening OpenOffice on the new computer and
using OO's "File | Open" menu to open your file. If this works to open your
files then the problem is with something called the "file association".

File association directs what program should be used to open a file when
the file is double-clicked.

If "File | Open" works then changing the file association to OO should
correct the problem.

To change file association follow the instructions here (for Windows 7)...
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/default-program-windows-7.htm