Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Thomas Neidhart <th...@gmail.com> on 2012/12/11 23:24:15 UTC

[VOTE] Release of commons-email-1.3 based on RC5

Hi,

I would like to call a vote from commons-email-1.3 based on RC5.

This release candidate has the following changes compared to RC4

+) update index and building page with correct information wrt Java
   compatibility
+) update release notes with info on Java compatibility and Clirr errors
+) fix svn:keywords for all source files and remove use of $Date$ tags
+) add $Id$ tags for all newly introduced source files in 1.3
+) update javax.mail.mail dependency to 1.4.5
+) fix PMD warnings and add NOPMD comment for false positives
+) added findbugs exclude filter for false positives
+) fix release date in changes.xml
+) correctly removed *.asc.[md5,sha1] files from Nexus staging area

The files:

The artifacts are deployed to Nexus:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-137/

The tag:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/email/tags/EMAIL_1_3_RC5/

The site:
http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/email/1.3/RC5/

Additional Notes:

o the download page and api links to older releases only work on
  the published site and will be corrected after release.

Please take a look at the commons-email-1.3 artifacts and vote!

[ ] +1 release it
[ ] +0 go ahead I don't care
[ ] -1 no, do not release it because

Vote will remain open for at least 72 hours.

Thanks in advance,

Thomas

[VOTE][CANCEL] Release of commons-email-1.3 based on RC5

Posted by Thomas Neidhart <th...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 11:24 PM, Thomas Neidhart <thomas.neidhart@gmail.com

> I would like to call a vote from commons-email-1.3 based on RC5.
>
> This release candidate has the following changes compared to RC4
>
> +) update index and building page with correct information wrt Java
>    compatibility
> +) update release notes with info on Java compatibility and Clirr errors
> +) fix svn:keywords for all source files and remove use of $Date$ tags
> +) add $Id$ tags for all newly introduced source files in 1.3
> +) update javax.mail.mail dependency to 1.4.5
> +) fix PMD warnings and add NOPMD comment for false positives
> +) added findbugs exclude filter for false positives
> +) fix release date in changes.xml
> +) correctly removed *.asc.[md5,sha1] files from Nexus staging area
>
> The files:
>
> The artifacts are deployed to Nexus:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-137/
>
> The tag:
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/email/tags/EMAIL_1_3_RC5/
>
> The site:
> http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/email/1.3/RC5/
>
> Additional Notes:
>
> o the download page and api links to older releases only work on
>   the published site and will be corrected after release.
>
> Please take a look at the commons-email-1.3 artifacts and vote!

> [ ] +1 release it
> [ ] +0 go ahead I don't care
> [ ] -1 no, do not release it because
>
> Vote will remain open for at least 72 hours.

The vote is cancelled.

As agreed, the issue wrt Clirr errors due to a refactoring of constants in
the Email class will be resolved by:

 * changing EmailConstants to a public final class
 * putting back the constants into the Email class by referencing the
values from EmailConstants
 * marking the constants in Email as being deprecated

Thomas

Re: [VOTE] Release of commons-email-1.3 based on RC5

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 9:06 AM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12 December 2012 13:17, Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 3:59 AM, Thomas Neidhart
> > <th...@gmail.com>wrote:
> >
> >> On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 4:58 AM, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com

> this
> due

> seen

> constants
> dubious us
> another

> >> that?

> still
> point

> >> Hi Gary,
> >>
> >> well, I think we go in circles with this change ;-).
> >>
> >> I assumed that this topic is settled after reading the comment from
> sebb in
> >> the RC2 thread (see http://markmail.org/message/svrb7nf3ocz7lgmd).
> >>
> >> Otoh, it's the first time I see constants in an interface and would be
> in
> >> favor of reverting to the previous version (also because I do not fully
> >> understand the rationale behind the change, some of the constants are
> not
> >> even used and thus have been deprecated).
> >>
> > --
> >

> >> Maybe we should postpone this kind of refactoring to 2.0 and do it then
> in
> >> a proper way. Introducing this interface just created headaches and I
> also
> >> had to disable some checks (e.g. InterfaceIsAType in checkstyle)
> because of
> >> it.
> >>

> > That sounds like a good way to go to get 1.3 out the door.
>
> Agreed.

Just in case: Thomas, do not despair, we are, I believe on the last leg of
the trip :)

Gary

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 3:31 PM, Thomas Neidhart
<th...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On 12/12/2012 08:39 PM, Siegfried Goeschl wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > to avoid the full circles here
> >
> > * I hopefully fixed the binary compatibility issue, wrote test and also
> > tested it with my production code
> >
> > * I moved the constants to EmailConstants because there are many
> > constants and using an non-trivial implementation class (Email) to
> > access a few constants is also questionable in my opinion
> >
> > * The design of commons-email is flawed in a few ways and there is not a
> > lot you can fix in a major version. So I suggest that we focus on
> > delivered value instead
>
> Hi Siegfried,
>
> thanks for your feedback.
>
> Taking this into account, together with the posts from sebb and Gary,
> imho the best solutions is as sebb proposed:
>
> * Change EmailConstants to a public final class
> * Add back the constants to the Email class by referencing them from
>   EmailConstants
> * Mark the constants in Email as deprecated

+1 to these three changes.

> btw. there are several constants that have not been in use since the 1.0
> release:
>
>     String SENDER_EMAIL = "sender.email";
>     String SENDER_NAME = "sender.name";
>     String RECEIVER_EMAIL = "receiver.email";
>     String RECEIVER_NAME = "receiver.name";
>     String EMAIL_SUBJECT = "email.subject";
>     String EMAIL_BODY = "email.body";
>     String CONTENT_TYPE = "content.type";
>     String ATTACHMENTS = "attachments";
>     String FILE_SERVER = "file.server";
>
> Does anybody know how or if they are in use? They are now marked as
> deprecated, but I am really curious about there origin.

You could add "not in use since..." to the deprecated message.

Gary

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 3:40 PM, Siegfried Goeschl <sg...@gmx.at> wrote:

> Hi Thomas,
>
> there is some code out there using it to build emails based on maps
>
> https://turbine.apache.org/**fulcrum/fulcrum-commonsemail/**
> xref/index.html<https://turbine.apache.org/fulcrum/fulcrum-commonsemail/xref/index.html>
>
> AFAIK we are free to drop deprecated stuff when doing a minor release -
> which of course breaks binary compatibility.

I do not think so, not for a minor release. Breaking BC is for major
releases, which also involves a package name and artifact name change, if
we follow what we've done for [lang] and [vfs].

Gary

Posted by Siegfried Goeschl <sg...@gmx.at>.
Hi Thomas,

Posted by Thomas Neidhart <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 2:47 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12 December 2012 19:39, Siegfried Goeschl <sg...@gmx.at> wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > to avoid the full circles here
> >
> > * I hopefully fixed the binary compatibility issue, wrote test and also
> > tested it with my production code
> >
> > * I moved the constants to EmailConstants because there are many
> constants
> > and using an non-trivial implementation class (Email) to access a few
> > constants is also questionable in my opinion
>
> A better solution might have been to use a constant class rather than
> an interface.
>
> The Email class can then reference the constant class:
>
> public static final String XYZ = EmailConstants.XYZ;
>
> Other classes can then reference EmailConstants directly.
>
> > * The design of commons-email is flawed in a few ways and there is not a
> lot
> > you can fix in a major version. So I suggest that we focus on delivered
> > value instead
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Siegfried Goeschl

> the

> seen

> of a
> constants
> dubious
> another

Yes, at least do this unless we revert to 1.2.

Gary

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Siegfried Goeschl <sg...@gmx.at>.
Hi folks,

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Thomas Neidhart <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 12 December 2012 03:58, Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you for doing another RC.
>
> While I was digging for a justification of the Clirr errors, I found this
> in the release notes: "Clirr reports several errors for this release due to
> moving constants from the Email class to the newly introduced
> EmailConstants interface. These changes are guaranteed to be binary
> compatible."
>
> Is it really binary compatible? What if I use reflection to access the
> constant on Email, will the reflection call be redirected to
> EmailConstants? There's unit test for ya ;)

AFAICT, constants in interfaces become part of the implementing class.

That's one reason why they are not a good idea ...

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.