Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Rahul R <ra...@gmail.com> on 2015/10/01 00:43:43 UTC

Kafka Consumers getting overlapped data

I have 2 kafka consumers. Both the consumers have the same group_id. One is
written in java [1] and the other in python. According to the documentation
[2] ,  if both the consumers have the same group_id , then I should be
getting non-overlapping set of data . But in this case, both the consumers
are getting all the data. I have not digressed from the default setting.
Any idea on whats going on ?

Thanks,
./R

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Consumer+Group+Example
[2] http://kafka.apache.org/documentation.html

Re: Kafka Consumers getting overlapped data

Posted by Todd Palino <tp...@gmail.com>.
What Python library are you using?

In addition, there's no real guarantee that any two libraries will
implement consumer balancing using the same algorithm (if they do it at
all).

-Todd