Posted to user@mahout.apache.org by Eli Finkelshteyn <ie...@gmail.com> on 2012/04/18 00:01:35 UTC

How to Test that Mahout Job is Running on Hadoop

Hi Folks,
This sounds like a bit of a stupid question, but here goes anyway: I'm
currently running ItemSimilarityJob
<https://builds.apache.org/job/Mahout-Quality/javadoc/org/apache/mahout/cf/taste/hadoop/similarity/item/ItemSimilarityJob.html>.
I've specified the input and output directories as explicitly on hdfs (I
used hdfs:// uris), so I know it's grabbing at least the input off of
HDFS. Nevertheless, the job is taking up a ton of memory on the client
machine I'm running things from (the full 5 gigs I gave it, along with a
ton of CPU), and when I go to port 50030 on my namenode, I'm not seeing
any running jobs. So, am I doing something wrong and things are running
locally, or are things actually running on Hadoop? Whatever the answer,
how do I check?

The command I ran to get things going was along the lines of:

MAVEN_OPTS="-Xms5g -Xmx5g -server" mvn exec:java
-Dexec.mainClass=org.apache.mahout.cf.taste.hadoop.similarity.item.ItemSimilarityJob
-Dexec.args="-Dmapred.input.dir=hdfs://mynamename/tmp/input
-Dmapred.output.dir=hdfs://mynamenode/tmp/output --similarityClassname
SIMILARITY_LOGLIKELIHOOD --booleanData --maxSimilaritiesPerItem 20
--maxPrefsPerUser 100 --minPrefsPerUser 3 --tempDir /tmp/hadoop-crap"

Thanks,
Eli

Re: How to Test that Mahout Job is Running on Hadoop

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.
The namenode is a component of HDFS, not Hadoop. Go to the Hadoop job
tracker to see jobs!