Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Anand Parikh <an...@yahoo.com> on 2002/09/13 22:22:11 UTC

Servlet messages to console/xconsole

I am running tomcat 4.0.4, JDK 1.3, Debian linux 2.2.6.
The following example is from the book "Java for the
Web with Servlets, JSP, EJB" by Budi Kurniawan.
It should send messages to the console/xconsole but I get errors.
I am stuck... any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Anand

PrimitiveServlet.java:
-----------------------
import javax.servlet.*;
import javax.servlet.http.*;
import java.io.*;
import java.io.IOException;
import java.util.*;

public class PrimitiveServlet implements Servlet {

    System.out.println("init");
  }

  public void service(ServletRequest request, ServletResponse response)
    throws ServletException, IOException {
    System.out.println("service");
  }

  public void destroy() {
    System.out.println("destroy");
  }

  public String getServletInfo() {
    return null;
  }
  public ServletConfig getServletConfig() {
    return null;
  }

}

Netscape Error:
----------------
The document contained no data.
Try again later or contact the server's administrator.

Log file:
-----------
2002-09-12 17:30:20
StandardWrapper[/myApp:org.apache.catalina.INVOKER.Primitive]:
Marking servlet org.apache.catalina.INVOKER.Primitive as unavailable
2002-09-12 17:30:20 invoker: Cannot allocate servlet instance for path
/myApp/servlet/Primitive/
javax.servlet.ServletException: Wrapper cannot find
servlet class Primitive or a class it depends on

----- Root Cause -----
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: Primitive
	at
org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:1406)

web.xml:
---------
Since I don't have access to the internet on my Linux machine, I have
placed a copy of the DTD in a dir. I tried to access the DTD using
both of the following but I get the same error as mentioned above:

http://java.sun.com/dtd/web-app_2_3.dtd
file://$CATALINA_HOME/webapps/myApp/web-app_2_3.dtd