Posted to users@solr.apache.org by Saksham Gupta <sa...@indiamart.com.INVALID> on 2023/05/16 06:35:26 UTC

Tuning Merge Settings for Solr Cloud

Hi team,
We use a solr cloud where more than 4 million search requests are served
and more than 50 million documents are updated daily.
We want to tune the merge configuration of solr to improve searching and
indexing performance.

1. Do we need to perform full indexing in order to bring the changes in
merge setting(segmentsPerTier) to action.
2. How to decide the ideal merge settings for my use case?
*Current merge settings:*
<mergePolicyFactory class="org.apache.solr.index.TieredMergePolicyFactory">
            <int name="maxMergeAtOnce">5</int>
            <int name="segmentsPerTier">3</int>
        </mergePolicyFactory>

Re: Tuning Merge Settings for Solr Cloud

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 5/16/23 00:35, Saksham Gupta wrote:
> 1. Do we need to perform full indexing in order to bring the changes in
> merge setting(segmentsPerTier) to action.

Changing the settings will affect any new merges.  Depending on the
change made, that might result in significant merge activity right away,
or less merge activity until later.

> 2. How to decide the ideal merge settings for my use case?
> *Current merge settings:*
> <mergePolicyFactory class="org.apache.solr.index.TieredMergePolicyFactory">
>              <int name="maxMergeAtOnce">5</int>
>              <int name="segmentsPerTier">3</int>
>          </mergePolicyFactory>

There is no "one size fits all" setting.  A smaller number of segments
will generally perform a little bit better than lots of segments, but
the difference in current Solr versions is not as drastic as it once was.

How to set the mergePolicy is highly dependent on the particulars of
your setup and usually requires experimentation.  Personally I would
leave the settings alone unless there is a noticeable problem related to
segment merges.

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: Tuning Merge Settings for Solr Cloud

Posted by Wei <we...@gmail.com>.
Hi Saksham,

You don't have to perform full indexing for the merge policy setting
change.  For the ideal settings, it depends on what you are trying to
optimize.  Generally more merges and smaller number of segments help to
improved search performance.

Thanks,
Wei

Posted by Saksham Gupta <sa...@indiamart.com.INVALID>.