Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Axtman, Kevin A." <KE...@saic.com> on 2006/07/24 17:02:35 UTC

Subversion Questions

I am a recent graduate working on my first corporate development project.  I
need a software program that will track check-in, check-out, artifacts
added, and changes.  We have started using TortoiseSVN.  Looking at
Subversion, it looks like it can do this, but everything I have seen has
been non-definitive.  Does anyone have a definitive answer of what
Subversion can do regarding these features.

Thanks,

Kevin Axtman

Science Applications International Corperation

Maritime System Solutions Division

Office - 360-697-4446

Cell    - 360-471-8348

axtmank@saic.com <ma...@saic.com>

Re: Subversion Questions

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On 7/24/06, Axtman, Kevin A. <KE...@saic.com> wrote:

>  I am a recent graduate working on my first corporate development
> project.  I need a software program that will track check-in, check-out,
> artifacts added, and changes.  We have started using TortoiseSVN.  Looking
> at Subversion, it looks like it can do this, but everything I have seen has
> been non-definitive.  Does anyone have a definitive answer of what
> Subversion can do regarding these features.

TSVN is just a Windows Explorer shell extension that acts as a client for
Subversion, so you're already using Subversion although you may not realize
it.  Every version control system I've ever seen or read about includes
these features, as that's the core of what a version control system does.
The exception being "tracking check-outs" - checkouts shouldn't affect the
status of the repository, so there's usually not a need to track those.

Re: Subversion Questions

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Jul 25, 2006, at 17:24, Andy Levy wrote:

> On 7/25/06, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>>> There presently is no checkout hook (that I've seen referenced), so
>>> that event can't be scripted.  After creating a repository, there
>>> are placeholder scripts in the hooks directory, one for each
>>> "hookable" event, named for each event.
>>
>> With Subversion 1.3.0 and above, and when served using the Apache
>> mod_dav_svn module, it is possible to fake a post-checkout-or-export
>> and a post-update hook. Have a look at this script I created for this
>> purpose:
>>
>> http://www.ryandesign.com/svnhookdispatcher/
>
> If it weren't for the PHP requirement, that'd be killer for my setup.

Note that I only require a command-line PHP interpreter. A PHP web
server module (e.g. mod_php or php-fcgi) is not required. I also
don't require any special features to be compiled into PHP, so the
simplest ./configure && make && make install of PHP should be
sufficient.

Also, the only reason I chose PHP is because it's the language I'm
most comfortable with at the moment. It should be possible to convert
it to perl or ruby or python or any other language you're more
comfortable running on your server. The script is only about 130
lines long, including comments, and it only took a few hours to write
in the first place. I imagine an accomplished perl programmer could
do it in half that size.

Re: Subversion Questions

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: Subversion Questions

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Re: Subversion Questions

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: Subversion Questions

Posted by Ron Olson <ta...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I'm using subversion and TortoiseSVN as well. The feature I believe you're
looking for is hook scripts. These are scripts that are executed before and
after certain svn functions like checkin, checkout, pre and post commit,
etc. From the scripts you can do anything you want, send email (that's what
I use them for after a commit), etc. Look in th svn book on the website
about hook scripts and I think you'll see it does what you want.

Ron