Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Takeshi Yamamuro <li...@gmail.com> on 2020/08/03 08:37:38 UTC

spark-on-k8s is still experimental?

Hi, all

A Spark user I know asked me this question.
I checked the the spark-on-k8s document and it says;
```
**The Kubernetes scheduler is currently experimental.
In future versions, there may be behavioral changes around configuration,
container images and entrypoints.**
```
https://github.com/apache/spark/blame/master/docs/running-on-kubernetes.md#L26-L28

This statement was added when v2.3.0 released (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-23104).
Does this mean that the v2.3.0 and v3.0.0 releases have the same
development stage?
I'm a bit worried that users read the statement in the doc and give up
starting this feature.
(In fact, the user who asked me seemed to think so)

I'm not familiar with that part, so does anyone know
when this statement can be removed from the doc?
Any milestone for that?

Thanks in advance,
Takeshi

--
---
Takeshi Yamamuro

Re: spark-on-k8s is still experimental?

Posted by Prashant Sharma <sc...@gmail.com>.
My thoughts are, External shuffle service is not a blocker for spark on k8s
to be a production ready.

Others may think otherwise, but there are other ways to enable auto
scaling. External shuffle service feature will be useful for all the ways
of deployments be it yarn, standalone, k8s and not just k8s.

About the GA, I have not yet seen a very large deployment working yet.
Others can share, how they are using spark on k8s, that can give us more
confidence on moving towards GA.

Thanks,

Posted by Holden Karau <ho...@pigscanfly.ca>.

Posted by Takeshi Yamamuro <li...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Holden Karau <ho...@pigscanfly.ca>.

Posted by JackyLee <qc...@163.com>.

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.
Likewise, I'm not super familiar with this integration, but, it's been
out for several minor and one new major version, and doubt that it is
any more 'experimental' now that it ever will be.
Unless someone who knows more suggests that it's still really a WIP,
or that some aspects are still fairly subject to change, I think we
could remove those statements.