Posted to oro-user@jakarta.apache.org by "Daniel F. Savarese" <df...@savarese.org> on 2000/09/02 08:15:40 UTC

Re: multiline matches

>I am trying to use ^ and $ with a multiline string.
>Passing Perl5Compiler.MULTILINE_MASK to the compile
>method seems to have no effect.  However, doing
>setMultiline(true) on the matcher seems to work.
>Is this a known bug?

Without a code example, I can't tell what you mean when you say it
doesn't work.  Perl5Compiler.MULTILINE_MASK corresponds to the Perl5
/m modifier and setMultiline(true) corresponds to the Perl $* variable.
It's possible a bug may have been introduced that wasn't present in
OROMatcher when it was being converted to Jakarta-ORO because the
default behavior of ^, $, and . was changed to match that of Perl because
it deviated slightly through an oversight.

After a quick test it looks like the behavior ^ with MULTILINE_MASK
got messed up in the transition to Jakarta-ORO.  I can probably fix
it pretty quickly, but I've got to talk to Jon about getting commit
privileges because I can't commit code right now.

OK, while writing this email I looked at it.  I've attached a patch.
Please test it out and make sure it works for your case.  I'll talk to
Jon about doing commits.

daniel

Re: multiline matches

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 9/1/2000 11:15 PM, "Daniel F. Savarese" <df...@savarese.org> wrote:

> Without a code example, I can't tell what you mean when you say it
> doesn't work.  Perl5Compiler.MULTILINE_MASK corresponds to the Perl5
> /m modifier and setMultiline(true) corresponds to the Perl $* variable.
> It's possible a bug may have been introduced that wasn't present in
> OROMatcher when it was being converted to Jakarta-ORO because the
> default behavior of ^, $, and . was changed to match that of Perl because
> it deviated slightly through an oversight.

> After a quick test it looks like the behavior ^ with MULTILINE_MASK
> got messed up in the transition to Jakarta-ORO.  I can probably fix
> it pretty quickly, but I've got to talk to Jon about getting commit
> privileges because I can't commit code right now.
>
> OK, while writing this email I looked at it.  I've attached a patch.
> Please test it out and make sure it works for your case.  I'll talk to
> Jon about doing commits.
>
> daniel

Ok, I have applied the patch and I'm also going to see about getting Daniel
commit access ASAP.

-jon

--
http://scarab.tigris.org/    | http://noodle.tigris.org/