Posted to pluto-user@portals.apache.org by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu> on 2008/03/06 13:22:06 UTC

Apache Portals Community Meetup at Amsterdam/ApacheCon EU 2008

Dear Portals community,

After a very successful Wicket Meetup last November in Amsterdam several people
have expressed interest in a similar happening for the Apache Portals Community.

Following up on that, we now like to organize such a Meetup for Apache Portals
in Amsterdam during the first Hackaton day at the ApacheCon EU 2008,April 7th.

Whereas this Meetup is purely about Apache Portals, run by the community,
ApacheCon gives you a much bigger overview covering the entire Apache stack.
There's no obligation to attend ApacheCon, but we're trying to get a good deal
for this Meetup attendees that want to visit ApacheCon too.
For more info about ApacheCon EU 2008, take a look at http://www.eu.apachecon.com/

Interesting Portal specific sessions at the ApacheCon you might want to attend are:

   Portlet Development using the new JSR-286 (Portlet v2) API
   by Noel Bergman, Tuesday April 8th
   http://eu.apachecon.com/eu2008/program/talk/2511

   Building your own portal with Apache Jetspeed-2 Enterprise Portal
   by Ate Douma (myself), Friday April 11th
   http://eu.apachecon.com/eu2008/program/talk/2606

Arje Cahn, as member of the ApacheCon EU organization committee (and also
co-organizer of the Wicket Meetup and serveral Cocoon Meetups in the past),
is actively helping with facilitating additional community Meetings during the
ApacheCon, and so far Wicket and JackRabbit already have opted for this.

There is still room for another Community Meetup so we'd like to fill that spot!

With the Apache Portals Community Meetup we like to bring together not only
project committers from Portals Pluto, Jetspeed, Bridges and WSRP4J and other
related projects, but also our community users and other interested parties.

This Meetup will be a low-barrier community driven event and free to attend,
thanks to the generous sponsoring by Hippo.

We will have a room and essential infrastructure (wireless network, free drinks)
within or nearby the same building as where the ApacheCon is held, to organize
our mini-conference about anything of interest for the Apache Portals Community.

You are hereby invited to attend and to propose a relevant subject you'd like
to hear more about or even present yourself.

As has been our experience in the past, short presentations slots of about 30
min. works best and allow for enough and divers sessions to create a very
interesting conference day for all attendees.

To facilitate the organization and registration for this event a Wiki
page is available here: http://wiki.apache.org/portals/MeetupAmsterdam2008

Register on the Wiki page to let us know you are interested, or even better:
tell us you will come for sure!

Note: registering for the meeting doesn't require attendance, but we like to
have a good indication who might be coming.

And if you have a good idea for a talk, presentation, demo, discussion, or
whatever you feel like, be sure to add it to the Wiki page as well.

We've already talked to several people who definitely would like to come, so now
is the time to sign up!

On the Wiki page you'll find already a few proposals we think will be
interesting, like:
- An overview of the Apache Portals Projects
- The new JSR-286 Portlet Specification 2.0 and the Pluto 2.0 RI
- Federated authentication (DigiD/A-Select/Shibboleth etc.) in Jetspeed-2
- Goals and plans for a Jetspeed-2 "light" portal
- Status and plans for WSRP4J
- etc.

Check the Wiki page at http://wiki.apache.org/portals/MeetupAmsterdam2008 for
the latest information, and you can also subscribe on the Wiki page to get
notified when it is updated.

Anyone willing to discuss this Meetup or specific topics by mail is invited to
do so by responding to this message on the general@portals.apache.org
mailing list. Or you may contact myself or David Sean Taylor, our Apache Portals
PMC Chair, directly (see email addresses below).

And I'd like to mention this once again: attendance for this event is *free*,
thanks to the sponsoring by Hippo, http://www.hippo.nl/

If you or your organization is interesting to helping out with this event
(and get some sponsoring coverage/display too), please contact Arje Cahn,
arje.cahn@hippo.nl

Thanks for your interest and see ya all in Amsterdam this April.

Regards,

Ate Douma
ate@hippo.nl / ate@apache.org / ate@douma.nu

David Sean Taylor
david@bluesunrise.com / taylor@apache.org

RE: Apache Portals Community Meetup at Amsterdam/ApacheCon EU 2008

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Ate Douma wrote:

>    Portlet Development using the new JSR-286 (Portlet v2) API
>    by Noel Bergman, Tuesday April 8th
>    http://eu.apachecon.com/eu2008/program/talk/2511

I will have a VMware virtual machine ready to go, so attendees will only
need to have VMware Player or Workstation.  It would be best if attendees
installed VMware Player (or workstation) prior to the training session,
rather than address any installation issues on Tuesday morning.

	--- Noel

Re: Apache Portals Community Meetup at Amsterdam/ApacheCon EU 2008

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Ate Douma wrote:
>
>> This Meetup will be a low-barrier community driven event and free to
> attend,
>> thanks to the generous sponsoring by Hippo.
>
>> We will have a room and essential infrastructure (wireless network, free
> drinks)
>> within or nearby the same building as where the ApacheCon is held, to
> organize
>> our mini-conference about anything of interest for the Apache Portals
> Community.
>
>> Check the Wiki page at http://wiki.apache.org/portals/MeetupAmsterdam2008
>
> Are you saying that this won't be colocated with the hack-a-thon??
AFAIK, no.
There simply isn't enough room available at the Moevenpick Hotel.
Note: there are now plans for 3 such Community Meetups (Portals, Wicket,
JackRabbit) and throwing them all together in the hack-a-thon room isn't an option.
So, for now its still up to the communities to arrange something for themselves.
But, if this works out nicely, and in good coordination and harmony with the
ApacheCon, in the future these events might/should be brought together more
closely I think.
But I'm not really familiar with the organizational details.
If you want to know more, ask Arje.

Ate

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.