Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Jay Kraly <ja...@perspectivesoftware.com> on 2003/03/13 05:45:32 UTC

listserv question

I'm running a listserv using an address like list-xxx@xxx.yyy.com.  The
address is actually an alias to a different machine aaa.bbb.com.  Users
should be sending mail to xxx.yyy.com and have no idea that aaa.bbb.com
exists, but I've noticed that some users somehow picked up the
aaa.bbb.com address and are now sending to it.  Has anybody else tried
something like this using James?  Is it more likely that James put the
wrong address in for the reply-to, or that somehow their mail-client
resolved the alias to its real name?

I've since removed the alias and just have xxx.yyy.com pointing to the
ip-address of the machine so I hopefully won't have the problem anymore,
but I'm just wondering if anybody has any idea as to what might have
happened.

Thanks

-J