Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by ta...@jakarta.apache.org on 2004/06/14 20:40:11 UTC

[Jakarta Tapestry Wiki] New: PortalSupportProposal

   Date: 2004-06-14T11:40:10
   Editor: HowardLewisShip <hl...@apache.org>
   Wiki: Jakarta Tapestry Wiki
   Page: PortalSupportProposal

   no comment

New Page:

= Problem Description =

Tapestry is currently limited to support for the Servlet API.  This means that Tapestry applications can not be used (directly) as part of a portal, as defined
by the [http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=168 JSR-168 Java Portal Specification].

= Proposed Solution =

I don't know the details of the differences between Servlet API and Portal API. Research must be done (and recorded here!)

I ''suspect'' that the difference can largely be worked out by introducing a Tapestry-specific API that can be facade over either Servlet API or Portal API. I understand this
is the solution used by JavaServerFaces.

Access to the Servlet API is buried several layers deep, i.e., {{{getRequestCycle().getRequestContext().getRequest()}}}, and the vast majority of code and components do not access the Servlet API objects at all. A change along these lines would not be fully backwards compatible.

= Discussion =