Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Doug Silver <ds...@urchin.com> on 2002/05/31 03:21:04 UTC

Re: Confusion: Perl/mod_perl ????

On Thu, 30 May 2002, Jeff McLean wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been programming in Perl for about 3 weeks now, and I just
> started doing some Perl CGI. I have Apache 2 installed on my linux
> system, but and my perl scripts work fine, but I don't knwo whether or
> not I'm using Perl (as in /usr/bin/perl) or mod_perl. I thought up
> untill recently that Apache has it's own version of Perl that it uses
> for CGI scripts (mod_perl) but I am now having doubts. Could someone
> please tell me exactly what the difference is between Perl and
> mod_perl, and how exactly mod_perl is used (.i.e. is it just for
> writing apache modules or is it just for CGI, or what....) I'm
> big-time confuesd here.
>
> Thanks very much!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> Jeff.

Hi Jeff -

First go to the http://perl.apache.org/ site to get the full story.  In
short, think of mod_perl as a module that you start up with Apache that
allows all of the perl scripts to run faster because the server doesn't
have to launch a subprocess because mod_perl is in a sense Apache's
version of perl.  There are a lot of options/etc (this *is* perl we're
talking about), so keep that in mind as you read through the documentation
for what is applicable to your website.

If you're using mod_perl, you can check your log when you start up Apache
for something like this:

[Fri May 24 14:50:24 2002] [notice] Apache/1.3.22 (Unix) mod_perl

Doug Silver
Network Manager
Urchin Software Corp.    http://www.urchin.com

Re: Confusion: Perl/mod_perl ????

Posted by Matt Sergeant <ma...@sergeant.org>.

Re: Confusion: Perl/mod_perl ????

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Doug Silver wrote:
> On Thu, 30 May 2002, Jeff McLean wrote:
>>
>>I have been programming in Perl for about 3 weeks now, and I just
>>started doing some Perl CGI. I have Apache 2 installed on my linux
>>system, but and my perl scripts work fine, but I don't knwo whether or
>>not I'm using Perl (as in /usr/bin/perl) or mod_perl. I thought up
>>untill recently that Apache has it's own version of Perl that it uses
>>for CGI scripts (mod_perl) but I am now having doubts. Could someone
>>please tell me exactly what the difference is between Perl and
>>mod_perl, and how exactly mod_perl is used (.i.e. is it just for
>>writing apache modules or is it just for CGI, or what....) I'm
>>big-time confuesd here.
>
> First go to the http://perl.apache.org/ site to get the full story.  In
> short, think of mod_perl as a module that you start up with Apache that
> allows all of the perl scripts to run faster because the server doesn't
> have to launch a subprocess because mod_perl is in a sense Apache's
> version of perl.  There are a lot of options/etc (this *is* perl we're
> talking about), so keep that in mind as you read through the documentation
> for what is applicable to your website.

Actually the new site (which should be released realy soon now) has a
nice and easy intro to mod_perl (thanks to Bill Moseley and others who
helped):

http://perl.apache.org/release/start/index.html

So Jeff, you may want to start from this URL first.