Posted to qa@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2012/11/06 17:32:55 UTC

Draft Blog Post: You Can Help Us Improve OpenOffice by Helping Us Test

https://blogs.apache.org/preview/OOo/?previewEntry=you_can_help_us_improve

If anyone has other ideas for the list of reasons to help with QA, let me know.

But in general it looks like we're ready to start a major recruitment
effort for QA.  We can probably do something similar for localization
soon as well.

-Rob

Re: Draft Blog Post: You Can Help Us Improve OpenOffice by Helping Us Test

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 11/06/2012 05:49 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
> On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 11:44 AM, Donald Whytock<dw...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Well, first of all you can take off the "(incubating)"...:)
>>

> Yes, that should go. But I don't have permissions for that.  I think
> we need at least a Roller admin (T.J ?) or Infra to help with that.

I've changed it. Also our blog is now graduated.

Marcus

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 2:58 PM, jan iversen <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is a real nice page.
>
> Have we ever worked together with universities, at least in denmark, the
> engineer and edp education contains quite a few 3weeks slots, where the
> students are encouraged to seek projects outside the university, normally
> in companies.
>
> Things like running QA on a snapshot or writing test cases, would be in
> line with the requirement. The only stopper is, that they would need
> somebody to mentor them, and sign off afterwards (towards the university),
> that is easy with companies, but with ASF I have no idea.

Apache participates as a mentor organization with Google Summer of
Code.  That has volunteer mentors guide students on a summer open
source project.  The mentors provide half-term and final reviews and
ratings for the students.    Doing this for a university program might
be possible, but would depend on the details.  For example, the ASF
has no ability to order or direct volunteer mentors.  So putting the
ASF under any contractual obligation for this might be a problem.  But
agreements between individual mentors and the university might be
fine.  Similar, who vouches for the student's work?  The mentor,
acting as an individual?  Or the ASF?

-Rob

Posted by Donald Whytock <dw...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 2:58 PM, jan iversen <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is a real nice page.
>
> Have we ever worked together with universities, at least in denmark, the
> engineer and edp education contains quite a few 3weeks slots, where the
> students are encouraged to seek projects outside the university, normally
> in companies.
>
> Things like running QA on a snapshot or writing test cases, would be in
> line with the requirement. The only stopper is, that they would need
> somebody to mentor them, and sign off afterwards (towards the university),
> that is easy with companies, but with ASF I have no idea.

How is QA currently done here?  Is it in the form of a JIRA, that
such-and-such QA needs to be done, and then attached are the results?
If that's the case, perhaps a student could have a QA JIRA to work on,
to which he'd attach test results, test cases, bugs identified, etc.
and an AOO committer signs off on it being complete?

Don

Re: Draft Blog Post: You Can Help Us Improve OpenOffice by Helping Us Test

Posted by jan iversen <ja...@gmail.com>.
This is a real nice page.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by jan iversen <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Donald Whytock <dw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 06/11/2012 Rob Weir wrote:
> https://blogs.apache.org/preview/OOo/?previewEntry=you_can_help_us_improve

Thanks, the final version at
https://blogs.apache.org/OOo/entry/you_can_help_us_improve
is very good and useful to the project, like everything else you've
published on the OpenOffice blog so far (I won't comment on what you
write elsewhere, let's say it would be off-topic!).

So the result is, we did already recruit some new QA volunteers. And
this is great. What is now the best way to keep them involved? In the
medium-long term, they will probably become able to follow issue queues
and triage bugs independently, but shall we schedule some introductory
QA activities at some point in late November to give new volunteers
something to work on?

Would it be easier to ask them to run manual tests on a build (if we
have enough testcases, this is probably the best way to introduce them
to QA) or to assign them random bugs from IssueZilla unconfirmed issues
and have them verify them?

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Draft Blog Post: You Can Help Us Improve OpenOffice by Helping Us Test

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 1:08 PM, Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 10:03 AM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 5:31 PM, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 8:32 AM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
>> >

>> https://blogs.apache.org/preview/OOo/?previewEntry=you_can_help_us_improve

>> me

>> > oK, this is good. My one comment would be to link to *some page* on
>> "Apache
>> > OpenOffice 4.0" that contains information on what this release will
>> > provide.  I would think the more volunteers felt it was worthwhile, the
>> > more likely they would be to help with QA.
>> >

>> OK.  I added a link to the wiki page where the AOO 4.0 ideas are collected.
>>
>> -Rob
>>

>> > Looking forward to the final draft.
>> >
>> > --

>> > MzK
>> >
>> > "Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never
>> >  dealt  with a cat."
>> >                                                 -- Robert Heinlein
>>

> When will the post go live?

Personally, I think it is ready now.  But I'm willing to wait longer
if you have more feedback.

-Rob

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 10:03 AM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 5:31 PM, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 8:32 AM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
> >

> https://blogs.apache.org/preview/OOo/?previewEntry=you_can_help_us_improve
> >>
> >> If anyone has other ideas for the list of reasons to help with QA, let
> me
> >> know.
> >>
> >> But in general it looks like we're ready to start a major recruitment
> >> effort for QA.  We can probably do something similar for localization
> >> soon as well.
> >>
> >> -Rob
> >>

> > oK, this is good. My one comment would be to link to *some page* on
> "Apache
> > OpenOffice 4.0" that contains information on what this release will
> > provide.  I would think the more volunteers felt it was worthwhile, the
> > more likely they would be to help with QA.
> >

> OK.  I added a link to the wiki page where the AOO 4.0 ideas are collected.
>
> -Rob
>

> > Looking forward to the final draft.
> >
> > --

> > MzK
> >
> > "Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never
> >  dealt  with a cat."
> >                                                 -- Robert Heinlein

When will the post go live?

--
Alexandro Colorado
PPMC Apache OpenOffice

Re: Draft Blog Post: You Can Help Us Improve OpenOffice by Helping Us Test

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ji Yan <ya...@gmail.com>.
Rob, very good post, thanks

--

Thanks & Best Regards, Yan Ji

Re: Draft Blog Post: You Can Help Us Improve OpenOffice by Helping Us Test

Posted by Kevin Grignon <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kevin Grignon <ke...@gmail.com>.
Rob,