Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Kent Tong <ke...@cpttm.org.mo> on 2005/01/11 05:37:40 UTC

bug in doc?

Hi,

In the API doc
C:/Tapestry-3.0/web/doc/api/org/apache/tapestry/engine/ExternalService.html,
the example is:
http://localhost/myapp?service=external&context=ViewCustomer&sp=5056&sp=302

I suspect that it should really be:
http://localhost/myapp?service=external/ViewCustomer&sp=5056&sp=302

Can anyone confirm it?

--
Kent Tong, Msc, MCSE, SCJP, CCSA, Delphi Certified
Manager of IT Dept, CPTTM

Re: Exceoption logging in log4j

Posted by Bryan Lewis <br...@maine.rr.com>.
You could override activateExceptionPage() in a custom Engine class:

    protected void activateExceptionPage(IRequestCycle cycle,
                                         ResponseOutputStream output,
                                         Throwable cause)
            throws ServletException
    {
        // Log the complete trace.
        // This will write the details to System.err where log4j will catch
it.
        reportException("Activated exception page " + pageName, cause);

        try {
            cycle.activate("UserFriendlyErrorPage");
            renderResponse(cycle, output);
        }
        catch (Throwable ex) {
            // This will happen if something prevents display of the error
            // page, like a syntax error in the error page's html.
            throw new ServletException(ex.getMessage(), ex);
        }
    }

The stack trace is written to the log rather than shown to the user.  If you
wanted to both log the trace _and_ show the exception page, simply do this
after the reportException():

            super.activateExceptionPage(cycle, output, cause);
            return;

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Jan 11, 2005, at 10:20 AM, kranga wrote:
> Thanks for the basics, but I already have exceptions in my classes! I'm
> talking about exceptions that Tapestry catches and reports on-screen.
> Is it
> possible to have Tapestry log those using log4j?

Yes.  Check the Jakarta Commons Logging documentation for how to
configure JCL to use the Log4j implementation (the default is to use
Log4j if it is on the classpath, actually).

I have log4j.properties in WEB-INF/classes and just tried adding this
to it:

log4j.logger.org.apache.tapestry=DEBUG

I got tons of Tapestry DEBUG level messages output after that setting.
Oh, but you want the Exception page to log.  If it successfully
displays the Exception page, then nothing gets logged (I don't believe
- at least I don't see it in AbstractEngine.activateExceptionPage).  If
you create your own BaseEngine subclass, override
activateExceptionPage, and configure your engine class in .application
you can add logging easily though.  In fact, this is exactly what I do
for lucenebook.com.  Rather than delegating to super, though, I instead
throw a ServletException to allow the container to catch the error and
go to a custom error.jsp, but you could just call super to get the nice
Tapestry exception page if you like.

	Erik

Re: Exceoption logging in log4j

Posted by kranga <kr...@k2d2.org>.

Posted by Shing Hing Man <ma...@yahoo.com>.

 :

=====

Posted by kranga <kr...@k2d2.org>.
How do I get Tapestry to log exceptions using log4j in addition to throwing
them on the screen? I've got log4j.properties and the jar file in the
classpath but it doesn't seem to log there. I know it uses commons logging,

Re: bug in doc?

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
Yes, that's old (Tapestry 2.3 or earlier) format for the URL.

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 12:37:40 +0800, Kent Tong <ke...@cpttm.org.mo> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In the API doc
> C:/Tapestry-3.0/web/doc/api/org/apache/tapestry/engine/ExternalService.html,
> the example is:
> http://localhost/myapp?service=external&context=ViewCustomer&sp=5056&sp=302
>
> I suspect that it should really be:
> http://localhost/myapp?service=external/ViewCustomer&sp=5056&sp=302
>
> Can anyone confirm it?
>
> --
> Kent Tong, Msc, MCSE, SCJP, CCSA, Delphi Certified
> Manager of IT Dept, CPTTM
> Authorized training for Borland, Cisco, Microsoft, Oracle, RedFlag & RedHat

Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Jakarta Tapestry
Creator, Jakarta HiveMind