Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Luc Maisonobe <Lu...@free.fr> on 2008/12/20 01:38:21 UTC

[math] changing again decomposition/solvers API ?

The decomposition/solvers API has changed several times these last
weeks, but I would like to introduce one new change.

The current status is something similar to:

   RealVector x = new XyzSolver(new XyzDecomposition(a)).solve(b);

I would like to change it to:

  RealVector x = new XyzDecomposition(a).getSolver().solve(b);

The reason for that is that it allows to have a solver that is built
from the internal state of the decomposition instead of using its public
API. This allows better performances as we don't need to build
explicitly some matrices.

Any thoughts about this change ?

Luc

Re: [math] changing again decomposition/solvers API ?

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
This looks much better to me. Not only does it allow the solver to see
the internal state of the decomposition. It also lets the
decomposition pick just which kind of solver would be good/right to use.

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
Luc Maisonobe wrote:
> The decomposition/solvers API has changed several times these last
> weeks, but I would like to introduce one new change.
>
> The current status is something similar to:
>
>    RealVector x = new XyzSolver(new XyzDecomposition(a)).solve(b);
>
> I would like to change it to:
>
>   RealVector x = new XyzDecomposition(a).getSolver().solve(b);
>
> The reason for that is that it allows to have a solver that is built
> from the internal state of the decomposition instead of using its public
> API. This allows better performances as we don't need to build
> explicitly some matrices.
>
> Any thoughts about this change ?

Sorry to be so late to respond, but I am belatedly +1 on this change as
well.   I think the package now looks good both from ease of use and
efficiency perspective.   Nice work!

Phil