Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Paul Sutton <pa...@ukweb.com> on 1996/10/23 17:09:26 UTC

New ranlib stuff

I've just tried the new Configure, with ranlib guessing, which seems like
a good idea to me. However if it cannot find the ranlib command it puts

  RANLIB=not found

into the Makefile. Configure needs to check for this like it does for
CC. Incidently, is there any reason why this check is made for a magic
string, rather than using the exit status of GuessWhere, e.g:

  if CC=`GuessWhere cc` ; then ... ; fi

Also Configuration.tmpl still has comments about setting RANLIB, which
don't apply now.

Paul
UK Web