Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Saurabh Agrawal <sa...@markit.com> on 2014/12/13 20:05:33 UTC

Building Desktop application for ALS-MlLib/ Training ALS

Hi,

I am a new bee in spark and scala world

I have been trying to implement Collaborative filtering using MlLib supplied out of the box with Spark and Scala

I have 2 problems

1.       The best model was trained with rank = 20 and lambda = 5.0, and numIter = 10, and its RMSE on the test set is 25.718710831912485. The best model improves the baseline by 18.29%. Is there a scientific way in which RMSE could be brought down? What is a descent acceptable value for RMSE?

2.       I picked up the Collaborative filtering algorithm from http://ampcamp.berkeley.edu/5/exercises/movie-recommendation-with-mllib.html and executed the given code with my dataset. Now, I want to build a desktop application around it.

a.       What is the best language to do this Java/ Scala? Any possibility to do this using C#?

b.      Can somebody please share any relevant documents/ source or any helper links to help me get started on this?

Your help is greatly appreciated

Thanks!!

Regards,

Saurabh Agrawal

This e-mail, including accompanying communications and attachments, is strictly confidential and only for the intended recipient. Any retention, use or disclosure not expressly authorised by Markit is prohibited. This email is subject to all waivers and other terms at the following link: http://www.markit.com/en/about/legal/email-disclaimer.page

Please visit http://www.markit.com/en/about/contact/contact-us.page? for contact information on our offices worldwide.

MarkitSERV Limited has its registered office located at Level 4, Ropemaker Place, 25 Ropemaker Street, London, EC2Y 9LY and is authorized and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority with registration number 207294