Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by rohit2006 <ro...@yahoo.com> on 2006/09/20 17:17:25 UTC

How to calculate shipping per item.

Hi,

I want to calculate per item on the following lines:

X amount for the first item and y amount for every additional item. I am not
sure if we can do this, can we?

I also run 2 very different catagories of products, which are shipped from 2
different locations and thus the shipping cost vary a lot. How can we
configure shipping in this case?

Thank you,

rohit

Re: How to calculate shipping per item.

Posted by Ray Barlow <ra...@makeyour-point.com>.
Spans can allow you to do x amount for first etc also see jira:
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-300

You will see a patch that allows shipping calculations based on
features. In this instance we just categorised products with a "Large"
or "Small" feature and then set up a price span to charge X amount for 1
product based on it's feature and an additional Y per product with the
same feature there after.

This was originally submitted 16/Apr/05 so may not merge straight into
the current SVN without a little manual intervention.

Ray

Posted by Daniel Kunkel <Da...@BioWaves.com>.
Hi

> I would have been great if we could define the shipping cost per item,
> just
> like to define the price of the item, this way one could have more
> control
> on the shipping calculations.

I think this is a dangerous road, but perhaps there is a way to make it
work...

I've found that setting the shipping like this causes problems as soon
as this shipping rates change, you need to send it internationally, etc.

> I also curious as to how the 'facility'  application works. If am
> correct we
> can actually define the facilities from which each item is shipped. If
> it
> were possible to relate the shipping cost to the facility from which
> the
> item was being shipped,

I haven't worked with it, but I think in general that's the way the
estimation system already works...

>  it could provide more flexibilty in calculating
> shipping. For eg. we could create virtual facility for similar items
> a,b,c
> etc.  and  a particular shipping rate from that facility and similar
> setting
> from another facility. During checkout, shipping can be calculated for
> items
> from each facility and a consolidated sum may be displayed to the
> customer.
> Its just a thought, what do you think of it.

This could be useful, but it would seem to get expensive for the
customer, especially if more than 1 or 2 facilities were involved, and
they wanted everything overnight for example.

Would it work instead to have all the sold inventory shipped to one
facility where it could be packed into one box for the customer?

Thanks

--
Daniel

*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-
Have a GREAT Day!

Daniel Kunkel           DanielKunkel@BioWaves.com
BioWaves, LLC           http://www.BioWaves.com
14150 NE 20th St. Suite F1
Bellevue, WA 98007
800-734-3588    425-895-0050
http://www.Apartment-Pets.com  http://www.SatelliteRadioZone.com
http://www.Cards-Visa.com       http://www.ColorGlasses.com
*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-

Re: How to calculate shipping per item.

Posted by rohit2006 <ro...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Daniel,

I dont think adding a part of the shipping cost to the product price is a
good idea. Firstly it make your product more expensive compared to prices
offered by other websites, customers may not really get to the point where
they come to know the total cost of the order. So even if the total cost
i.e. product price + shipping cost is less than that of competitors, one
will loose many customers. This is from a marketing point of view. Secondly,
if add the cost to the product and the customer adds more than one unit to
the cart, the shipping cost will not really follow the X for 1st unit and y
for every additional unit.

I have not yet tried the USPS auctomatic shipping since we have not really
updated the weight of the items.

I would have been great if we could define the shipping cost per item, just
like to define the price of the item, this way one could have more control
on the shipping calculations.

I also curious as to how the 'facility'  application works. If am correct we
can actually define the facilities from which each item is shipped. If it
were possible to relate the shipping cost to the facility from which the
item was being shipped, it could provide more flexibilty in calculating
shipping. For eg. we could create virtual facility for similar items a,b,c
etc.  and  a particular shipping rate from that facility and similar setting
from another facility. During checkout, shipping can be calculated for items
from each facility and a consolidated sum may be displayed to the customer.
Its just a thought, what do you think of it.

Rohit

RE: console.log Cost fields not found

Posted by Marcelo Hamra <ma...@hotmail.com>.
Question answered. Analyzing the BOMSimulation.bsh, i've found that the cost
that are used for the simulation are the "estimated standard". Excuse me for
bothering you unnecessarely.

Marcelo

Posted by Daniel Kunkel <Da...@BioWaves.com>.
Hi Rohit