Posted to user@poi.apache.org by "Leimbach, Johannes" <JL...@CONET.DE> on 2006/08/22 09:05:19 UTC

Supported file formats by POI

Hello,

What are are the supported file types by POI?

For a project I need to be able to read these Microsoft files:
- XLS & XLT
- PPT & POT
- DOC & DOT

XLS, PPT & DOC can be easily read (with the SVN version of POI) - I'm a
little bit worried about the ??T-template files.

Can POI read them all?

Thanks for help,

Johannes

Re: Supported file formats by POI

Posted by DL...@swbc.com.
TslH

Thanks for your help.

Darrell

TslH <ts...@gmail.com>
08/22/2006 08:13 AM
Please respond to
"POI Users List" <po...@jakarta.apache.org>

"POI Users List" <po...@jakarta.apache.org>
cc

Subject

On 8/22/06, DLee@swbc.com <DL...@swbc.com> wrote:

> TslH
>
> When you say all POI classes are grouped in one jar, does that mean also
> the excel classes?  The reason I'm asking is I already am using the
excel
> stuff, which by the way is working really well.

Exaclty.

Any documentation around anywhere on using word classes?

> Darrell

The POI website seems sufficiant:
http://jakarta.apache.org/poi/hwpf/index.html

Re: Supported file formats by POI

Posted by TslH <ts...@gmail.com>.
On 8/22/06, DLee@swbc.com <DL...@swbc.com> wrote:

> TslH
>
> When you say all POI classes are grouped in one jar, does that mean also
> the excel classes?  The reason I'm asking is I already am using the excel
> stuff, which by the way is working really well.

Exaclty.

Any documentation around anywhere on using word classes?

> Darrell

The POI website seems sufficiant:
http://jakarta.apache.org/poi/hwpf/index.html

Re: Supported file formats by POI

Posted by DL...@swbc.com.
TslH

When you say all POI classes are grouped in one jar, does that mean also
the excel classes?  The reason I'm asking is I already am using the excel
stuff, which by the way is working really well.

Any documentation around anywhere on using word classes?

Darrell

TslH <ts...@gmail.com>
08/22/2006 07:52 AM
Please respond to
"POI Users List" <po...@jakarta.apache.org>

"POI Users List" <po...@jakarta.apache.org>
cc

Subject
Re: Supported file formats by POI

On 8/22/06, DLee@swbc.com <DL...@swbc.com> wrote:

> Anybody out there know the location and steps for downloading and
> installing the POI for word?
>
> Appreciate your help.
>
> Darrell

All POI classes are grouped in one jar. To get it, go:
http://<MIRROR>/jakarta/poi/release/bin/poi-bin-2.5.1-final-20040804.tar.gz

for example from France:
http://apache.cict.fr/jakarta/poi/release/bin/poi-bin-2.5.1-final-20040804.tar.gz

Add it to your classpath and then you can use HWPF classes.

TslH

Re: Supported file formats by POI

Posted by TslH <ts...@gmail.com>.
On 8/22/06, DLee@swbc.com <DL...@swbc.com> wrote:

> Anybody out there know the location and steps for downloading and
> installing the POI for word?
>
> Appreciate your help.
>
> Darrell

All POI classes are grouped in one jar. To get it, go:
http://<MIRROR>/jakarta/poi/release/bin/poi-bin-2.5.1-final-20040804.tar.gz

for example from France:
http://apache.cict.fr/jakarta/poi/release/bin/poi-bin-2.5.1-final-20040804.tar.gz

Add it to your classpath and then you can use HWPF classes.

TslH

Re: Supported file formats by POI

Posted by DL...@swbc.com.
Thanks Nick;

I got it from here, maybe.

Darrell

Nick Burch <ni...@torchbox.com>
08/22/2006 09:29 AM

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006, DLee@swbc.com wrote:
> I have looked at that link before, but don't see how to do a download
> from that page.

You either need to do an SVN checkout (url on that page), and build your
jars from svn, or grab some nightly svn build jars from
<http://encore.torchbox.com/poi-svn-build/>

> What do I do with the jar after I get it?

Pop it into your IDE / build system, but that's beyond the scope of what
we can help you with!

Nick

Re: Supported file formats by POI

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@torchbox.com>.
On Tue, 22 Aug 2006, DLee@swbc.com wrote:
> I have looked at that link before, but don't see how to do a download
> from that page.

You either need to do an SVN checkout (url on that page), and build your
jars from svn, or grab some nightly svn build jars from
<http://encore.torchbox.com/poi-svn-build/>

> What do I do with the jar after I get it?

Pop it into your IDE / build system, but that's beyond the scope of what
we can help you with!

Nick

Re: Supported file formats by POI

Posted by DL...@swbc.com.
Thanks Nick;

I have looked at that link before, but don't see how to do a download from
that page.

I'm either blind or just can't see it.

any hints would be appreciated.  What do I do with the jar after I get it?

Darrell

Nick Burch <ni...@torchbox.com>
08/22/2006 08:37 AM
Please respond to
"POI Users List" <po...@jakarta.apache.org>

POI Users List <po...@jakarta.apache.org>
cc

Subject
Re: Supported file formats by POI

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006, DLee@swbc.com wrote:
> Anybody out there know the location and steps for downloading and
> installing the POI for word?

>From http://jakarta.apache.org/poi/hwpf/

"HWPF is still in early development. It is in the  scratchpad section of
the SVN. You will need to ensure you either have a recent SVN checkout, or

a recent SVN nightly build (including the scratchpad jar!)"

Nick

Re: Supported file formats by POI

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@torchbox.com>.