Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Ted Byers <r....@gmail.com> on 2012/07/29 17:41:32 UTC

Still getting started but question about 'startofbiz.sh'

Well, following stripped down instructions provided by Jason Gilmore on
searchenterpriselinux.techtarget.com a little over a year ago,  I downloaded
OFBiz (from trunk using svn) and installed it on two virtual machines
running Suse Linux (v 12.1): one using KDE and one using Gnome, if that
matters.

The build process went smoothly, and took over half an hour on Suse+KDE, but
only 17 minutes on Suse+Gnome (I can't explain why and both VMs are running
on the same machine).

But on each, I started it, after the build, using "./startofbiz.sh', and the
program seems to never end (at least it never terminates and gets me back to
the command prompt).  Is it supposed to do that (i.e. go into a do-forever
loop), or did something go awry without generating any error messages.  I
would have thought that it would have started OFBiz much like the sh scripts
for Apache's httpd server just start the server and terminate; but that's
not what happened.  This holds for both virtual machines.

If I open a browser and go to
'http://localhost:8080/ecommerce/control/main', I do get the demo store, and
that seems to work OK, although I have barely begun to explore it.

Thanks

Ted

Re: Still getting started but question about 'startofbiz.sh'

Posted by Gil Portenseigne <gi...@nereide.fr>.
Le lundi 30 juillet 2012 à 16:41 +0200, Jacques Le Roux a écrit :

> But anyway using rc.ofbiz* files in this case seems a better way to me
> (if you want automatic restart, which is a moot point)
>
> Jacques

Yeah totally agree with that !

gil
--
Gil Portenseigne <gi...@nereide.fr>

Re: Still getting started but question about 'startofbiz.sh'

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
From: "Gil Portenseigne" <gi...@nereide.fr>
> Le lundi 30 juillet 2012 à 15:18 +0200, Jacques Le Roux a écrit :
>
>> rather
>> ./sh startofbiz.sh  &
>> though
>
> Did you mean ./startofbiz.sh ? I do not understand the ./sh
> thing...  :-)

Right Gil, I meant of course:
sh ./startofbiz.sh  &
Sorry for the typo ;o)

Posted by Carsten Schinzer <c....@gmail.com>.
Apologies for this one.
You are of course right with ./sh
And my mail was damn arrogant.
Blame on me.

I will check the link Jacques sent over.

Posted by Gil Portenseigne <gi...@nereide.fr>.
Hi

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Carsten Schinzer wrote:
> Gil,
>
> go get some Linux basics for Server operations.
>
> ./sh will invoke a separate shell (runtime environment) for your ofbiz
> instance
> & will send it to background processing
>
> Make sure, you have your logfiles under control before you start hiding
> things from a console.
> Basically you should keep
> + a running logfile that rolls over every day (or every x MBs), keep a
> series of them --> see the log4.xml configuration for this one
> + a "session" logfile, typically this is available at
> {OFBIZ_HOME}/runtim/logs/console.log
>
> In order to read and follow these while your ofbiz instance runs, you will
> need to familiarize with one of vi, cat, tail.
>
> @Jacques: Looks like these are some "Run OFBiz in *ix environments Faq" do
> we not have a basic cheat sheet in the wiki?

I guess you think about https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/How+to+run+OFBiz+as+a+Service

Jacques

Posted by Carsten Schinzer <c....@gmail.com>.
Gil,