Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2013/06/17 03:36:57 UTC

Draft blog post: With Apache OpenOffice you get what you don't pay for

https://blogs.apache.org/preview/OOo/?previewEntry=with_apache_openoffice_you_get

-Rob

Re: Draft blog post: With Apache OpenOffice you get what you don't pay for

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 1:15 PM, Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie> wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 13:06:30 -0400
> Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

>> > "Supplies are limited"...technically true, if you're trying to avoid
>> > traffic overload on the link...
>> >

>> But in this case, the site that was reported to use merely directed
>> users to our own www.openoffice.org website after payment.  So it
>> wasn't even their bandwidth.
>>
> The Patent Medicine Man at a fairground always announces that there are very few left.
> "Hurry, hurry, hurry! get yours now - nearly sold out!"

It is one of the key psychological insights that advertisers use.
There was a time when TV advertisements would end with "Our operators
are standing by to take your order".  But testing showed that it was
much better to say something like, "If our operators are busy please
call again".  The perception of scarcity motivates people to action.

Of course, the master of this was P.T. Barnum who in his museum of
oddities managed crowds by having a prominent sign in the museum that
said, "This Way to See the Great Egress".  And he was the one who
coined the phrase, "There's a sucker born every minute", something
that required the internet to fully demonstrate.

In any case I think raising awareness of OpenOffice as a free
application can help reduce incidents like this.  And if someone is
taken in by a scam that involves OpenOffice then this reflects poorly
on us, even though we are not directly involved.

-Rob

> --
> Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Opinions expressed in this communication reflect the author's
individual personal view, not necessarily that of an amorphous
collective.  The above statements do not reflect an official position
of any organization, corporation, religion (organized or disorganized)
or national football association.  The contents of said note are not
guaranteed to have been spell checked, grammar checked or reviewed for
metrical infelicities.  The contents of this post may not be suitable
for those whose native language is not logic.  Caution should be
exercised when operating heavy machinery when reading this note, or
even when not reading it.  Seriously, heavy machinery is dangerous.
Be careful.

Re: Draft blog post: With Apache OpenOffice you get what you don't pay for

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Donald Whytock <dw...@apache.org>.