Posted to dev@nifi.apache.org by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com> on 2015/05/13 16:01:54 UTC

From apache nifi (incubating) site to running nifi in fewest clicks...

All,

Yesterday I had a chance to talk to a really cool startup with awesome
developers who gave some great feedback on nifi.  One of the things
they mentioned was how much they loved the UI.  In fact they said if
they hadn't seen the reference to the UI they would have said
'interesting' and moved on but not really followed up.

The point they made is we should make it as easy as possible to get
from landing on the apache nifi webpage to having an up and running
instance of NiFi for them to get to start playing with the UI.

I'd like to put this out there to get a sense of how people see this
being most effectively done.

They mentioned Vagrant.  We've also had some folks mention and
contribute references to docker images.  Other ideas might be
providing a live/running site where people could just immediately
start gaining familiarity with nifi.

Each of these have different pros/cons and it is unclear how to do
these in apache effective ways.

Look forward to ideas you all may have or thoughts on what other
effective approaches projects have taken.

Thanks
Joe

Re: From apache nifi (incubating) site to running nifi in fewest clicks...

Posted by Corey Flowers <cf...@onyxpoint.com>.
I would think Docker would be the way to go, or maybe variety of images
from the different opensource products, such as an image for Docker,
Virtualbox and others. We are actually going to host a live demo on our
website soon. You could link to that too, I believe we are going to use
VirtualBox to run the nifi instance.

--
Corey Flowers
Vice President, Onyx Point, Inc

Re: From apache nifi (incubating) site to running nifi in fewest clicks...

Posted by Aldrin Piri <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.
docker would mean folks could deploy nifi via Amazon ECS[1], which is a
benefit IMHO.

[1]: http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonECS/latest/developerguide/Welcome.html

--
Sean

Re: From apache nifi (incubating) site to running nifi in fewest clicks...

Posted by Adam Taft <ad...@adamtaft.com>.

Posted by Aldrin Piri <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Adam Taft <ad...@adamtaft.com>.

Posted by Aldrin Piri <al...@gmail.com>.
Homebrew would be great as well as package files for the major Linux
distributions (RPM, .deb)

Posted by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com>.
So do those screencasts Jenn!  Nice work!

Posted by Jennifer Barnabee <je...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matt Gilman <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com>.
Well played sean.  Well played.

One of our strengths is our existing security capabilities and the
inherent flexibility to connect to an organizations existing
authorization schemes.  But providing a reasonably secure
demonstration system also presents a barrier to entry to consider.

Our defaults out of the box are arguably irresponsible.  We can
certainly do better there.

Back on the demo track:
Perhaps we have two demo's.  One that just gets you in right away but
is 'wide open'.  The other is a secure mode and in that we can use
certs and can lock down via firewalls any in/out traffic we dont' want
and we could even take out processors which interact with the outside
world.  We could pump in provided data (like network traffic from
tcpdump, etc...).

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com>.
Jenn

Posted by Jennifer Barnabee <je...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matt Gilman <ma...@gmail.com>.
For those with OSX we could make the latest convenience binaries available
with homebrew [1]. I needed to test something using ActiveMQ last week and
found it available there. Two commands and I had a running instance locally
(with default settings), but we could certainly do something similar.

[1] http://brew.sh/

On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 10:01 AM, Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> All,
>
> Yesterday I had a chance to talk to a really cool startup with awesome
> developers who gave some great feedback on nifi.  One of the things
> they mentioned was how much they loved the UI.  In fact they said if
> they hadn't seen the reference to the UI they would have said
> 'interesting' and moved on but not really followed up.
>
> The point they made is we should make it as easy as possible to get
> from landing on the apache nifi webpage to having an up and running
> instance of NiFi for them to get to start playing with the UI.
>
> I'd like to put this out there to get a sense of how people see this
> being most effectively done.
>
> They mentioned Vagrant.  We've also had some folks mention and
> contribute references to docker images.  Other ideas might be
> providing a live/running site where people could just immediately
> start gaining familiarity with nifi.
>
> Each of these have different pros/cons and it is unclear how to do
> these in apache effective ways.
>
> Look forward to ideas you all may have or thoughts on what other
> effective approaches projects have taken.
>
> Thanks
> Joe

Re: From apache nifi (incubating) site to running nifi in fewest clicks...

Posted by es...@gmail.com.
Lots and lots of folks are using docker these days. Existing Amazon AMI's would be cool too. Actually, I think docker files our projects or whatever you call them run in Amazon now as well.

Sent from my iPhone