Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Daniel P <le...@yahoo.es> on 2007/01/03 02:08:18 UTC

Re: problem with POS modal window in Linux.

Dear all,

  More details on my investigations on the POS issue I reported on this list on 28/12/06, (issue OFBIZ-567)

  - With Linux (Debian Etch), and JDK 1.5, the issue reproduces as I reported previously: application is completely blocked with alert windows because they are not shown on front of screen. The same for various desktop managers: Gnome and  other 'light window managers' as xfce4 and icevm-lite. Tested also with both XuiCoreSwing_v2_0_6_jdk1_4.jar and XuiCoreSwing_v2_0_6_jdk1_5.jar

  - With Linux (Debian Etch), and JDK 1.4 (1.4.2_13), the issue does not reproduce, whichever window manager is used. However in this case there is a residual issue, as reported by Jacques Le Roux: when an 'alert' window is displayed, if you click in another part of the window, the 'alert' dissapears but the main screen is blocked (waiting user confirmation of the hidden alert). Depending on the window manager you use, you can switch again to the alert window to recover control: this has been tested successfully with a 'light' window manager (icevm-lite) as suggested by Andy Zeneski. However, this is not possible with Gnome: the alert window is not reachable.

  Being the biggest issue with the JDK 1.5, I would suggest to check whether this is really an issue with the SUN JDK1.5 virtual machine for Linux, or maybe a compatibility issue between XUI and JDK 1.5

  Apart from this, for the smaller issues with JDK 1.4, the alert windows may need to be modal, so that the user is forced to accept before switching to another window.

  Best Regards,
  Daniel.

Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com> escribió:
  Thanks Andy,

I hope somebody will try soon and report as well.

Jacques

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Daniel,

Thanks for thorough try. The problem (as you may remember) is that the alert windows *is already* modal as you may verify using M$
Windows where it works without *any* problems. Hence my proposition in
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-567#action_12461766. BTW under Windows we see only one task when switching with Alt+Tab.

Jacques

From: "Daniel P" <le...@yahoo.es>