Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com> on 2005/01/07 16:09:58 UTC

[chain] lookups and context wrappers

I'm starting to work on a process for Struts which wraps the incoming
Context class in an "ActionContext" class which knows more about the
Struts API.  I am sort of feeling my way along and I have a few ideas
which might belong in the chain core, so I thought I'd solicit some
opinions.

I wonder if the LookupCommand should have some configurable facility
for wrapping contexts; it seems like that might occasionally be a
valuable service, and it might be nice not to have to subclass
LookupAction just to put a wrapper around the context.  I'm thinking
that you could configure either a wrapper class name or a
ContextFactory type class name (we'd decide which was better; no need
to actually do it both ways).  Then, if lookup found that it was so
configured, it would prepare the context which it passed along to the
looked-up command by using the wrapping facility.

To me a Factory implies a new context instance based off of the old
one.  This would require a lot more overhead in copying values to and
from the context on either side of the dispatch to the sub-command.
So I prefer a wrapper which actually uses the underlying context to
store values, but structures the way in which things go in there.  It
seems like this might be risky, but it's also much less overhead.

Any ideas about this?  I have a draft ContextWrapper class in
progress which I could share.  Even if we decide it doesn't belong in
the chain core, I'll probably continue along this path for Struts
unless someone points out a phenomenal oversight in the basic
approach.

Joe

--
Joe Germuska