Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Doug Cutting <cu...@nutch.org> on 2006/01/10 18:21:49 UTC

[VOTE] accept Solr into incubator

I propose that we accept the CNET's Solr project into the incubator.

Discussion on this list evidenced broad interest in this project, which
bodes well for its ability to build a developer community.

The Lucene PMC would be happy to accept Solr as a Lucene sub-project
once it graduates from the incubator.

The proposal is at:

http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/SolrProposal

+1

Doug

Re: [VOTE] accept Solr into incubator

Posted by Yonik Seeley <ys...@gmail.com>.
On 1/10/06, Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com> wrote:
>   (a) you should identify the additional ASF folks,
>       and get them down either as comitters and/or
>       Mentors.  Was there a reason for excluding
>       them from the proposal?

I didn't list any mentors myself on the proposal because it looked
like that authority rested with the sponsor (in this case the Lucene
PMC).

-Yonik

Re: [VOTE] accept Solr into incubator

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
On Wed, Jan 11, 2006 at 08:30:59AM -0500, Erik Hatcher wrote:
> That's a good policy, Brian.

Not really.  Votes like this are about whether the proposal conforms to our
standards and consequently executing the Incubator PMC's oversight
responsibilities - that is, everything about the proposal is in order.
This vote is not about volunteering to work on the project.  That would be
expressed by saying "I want to be a committer on the project", which is
certainly welcomed, but not the point of this vote.  -- justin

Re: [VOTE] accept Solr into incubator

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
That's a good policy, Brian.

+1 myself, as I do plan to work with Solr.

	Erik

Posted by Brian McCallister <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
+1

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
Hi,
It seems to me like this vote is now closed, with a positive outcome,
no further action in about a week.  Unless I missed something, will
the originator of the vote please send out a [VOTE][RESULT] email with
a tally? ;)

Yoav

Posted by Yonik Seeley <ys...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
On Tue, Jan 10, 2006 at 09:21:49AM -0800, Doug Cutting wrote:
> I propose that we accept the CNET's Solr project into the incubator.
>
> Discussion on this list evidenced broad interest in this project, which
> bodes well for its ability to build a developer community.
>
> The Lucene PMC would be happy to accept Solr as a Lucene sub-project
> once it graduates from the incubator.

One other question to help narrow the project's scope a little: Is the
'search server' written entirely from scratch or is it using servlets or
some other Java HTTP container?

The answer to the question matters little, but I'd like this stated up
front so that it's clear for everyone where Solr's boundaries are.

Thanks.  -- justin

Re: [VOTE] accept Solr into incubator

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@nutch.org>.
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Doug, you can only make this statement with a vote by the Lucene PMC.

The Lucene PMC has already voted to sponsor this podling.  My
understanding is that the Incubator PMC must also vote to accept the
podling.  Is that not correct?

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Doug Cutting wrote:

> The Lucene PMC would be happy to accept Solr as a Lucene sub-project
> once it graduates from the incubator.

Doug, you can only make this statement with a vote by the Lucene PMC.  I'd
suggest that the Lucene PMC vote on incubating the proposal.  In doing so,
the Lucene project takes on the responsibility of mentoring this new podling,
thereby integrating better once it has graduated.

Re: [VOTE] accept Solr into incubator

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@nutch.org>.
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> I don't see Erik listed on the proposal as a mentor.  -- justin

I just added him.

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
--On January 10, 2006 11:51:33 AM -0800 Doug Cutting <cu...@nutch.org>

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
--On January 10, 2006 3:11:28 PM -0500 Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>
wrote:

> Hi,
> I mentioned I'd be interested, I still am.  I'd like to be a committer
> (I think I am automatically, at least through the incubation period,
> by virtue of being on the Incubator PMC), but it seemed to me like

At a minimum, you should add yourself to the proposal page as an initial
committer.  =)  -- justin

Re: [VOTE] accept Solr into incubator

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
Hi,
I mentioned I'd be interested, I still am.  I'd like to be a committer
(I think I am automatically, at least through the incubation period,
by virtue of being on the Incubator PMC), but it seemed to me like
having the entire Lucene PMC group as mentors was enough, so I didn't
add myself as a mentor formally on the proposal.  If another mentor is
needed, I'll be glad to help in that capacity as well.

Yoav

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@nutch.org>.

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On 1/10/06, Doug Cutting <cu...@nutch.org> wrote:
> Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> > Are there any other mentors?  I think I saw some people say they would be
> > interested, but I don't see their names on the proposal.  -- justin
>
> Erik Hatcher & myself are mentors.  Do we need more?

I believe there were a few people from outside the Lucene PMC who
volunteered (Paul Querna did, and perhaps some others), it seems
useful to get people from other parts of the ASF involved, just to
encourage cross pollination of ideas.

-garrett

Re: [VOTE] accept Solr into incubator

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@nutch.org>.

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Doug Cutting wrote:

> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> >   (a) you should identify the additional ASF folks,
> >       and get them down either as comitters and/or
> >       Mentors.  Was there a reason for excluding
> >       them from the proposal?

> None whatsoever.  If their statements of willingness to help meant that
> they'd like to be initial committers or mentors, that's fine with me.  I
> just did not understand them that way.

Well, they were offering something that seemed like at least interest (I
took it as more), and since one of the main goals is to community building,
my own suggestion would be to be pro-active, and follow up whenever you see
someone expressing interest.  Clarify what they'd like to do.

> >   (b) the Lucene PMC should be voting to sponsor
> >       the project for Incubation, including making
> >       sure that Mentors are all lined up.

> The Lucene PMC has already voted in favor of this.

That's is sufficient for entry.

> The incubation documentation only mentions a single mentor,
> so we thought that was covered too.  But we're open to more
> mentors and more initial committers.

We have recently discussed pushing that to more like three, but it hasn't
been formalized.

	--- Noel

Re: [VOTE] accept Solr into incubator

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@nutch.org>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>   (a) you should identify the additional ASF folks,
>       and get them down either as comitters and/or
>       Mentors.  Was there a reason for excluding
>       them from the proposal?

None whatsoever.  If their statements of willingness to help meant that
they'd like to be initial committers or mentors, that's fine with me.  I
just did not understand them that way.

>   (b) the Lucene PMC should be voting to sponsor
>       the project for Incubation, including making
>       sure that Mentors are all lined up.

The Lucene PMC has already voted in favor of this.  Erik noted that
around the original proposal.  The incubation documentation only

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
This is as clear as day: +1.

Otis