Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Zsombor <gz...@gmail.com> on 2007/10/25 11:45:08 UTC

Merging my patches ...

Hi,

 Does anyone have time and knowledge, to merge my patches against the IMAP
server part. I'm currently working on a MINA based protocol handler, when it
can handle starttls I will post it for merging too.
So my current pending patches are here:
 https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JAMES-806
 https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JAMES-807
 https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JAMES-808

BR,
 Zsombor

Re: Merging my patches ...

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 10/25/07, Zsombor <gz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/25/07, Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 10/25/07, Zsombor <gz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> >
> > hi Zsombor
> >
> > >  Does anyone have time and knowledge, to merge my patches against the
> > IMAP
> > > server part.
> >
> > definitely
> >
> > (the timing's good since i planned to start taking a look at some of
> > this tomorrow)
>

> Great :-)

these are quite substantial contributions :-)

it'd be great if you find time to fill in a ICLA
(http://www.apache.org/licenses/index.html#clas)

- robert

Re: Merging my patches ...

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
<snip>

On 10/25/07, Zsombor <gz...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  My MINA connector is here,
> http://james-imap-storage.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/imap-mina/ currently
> doesn't handle literals too well, but I know how to fix it.

i've been wondering whether for big literals it might be a good idea
to stream them direct to disc

> For the MINA
> based connector there is some other patches pending, which introduce some
> new interface instead of the hardcoded implementations, I will post it at
> the weekend, I hope so.

yeh - thought some more architectural work would be required

- robert

Re: Merging my patches ...

Posted by Zsombor <gz...@gmail.com>.
On 10/25/07, Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/25/07, Zsombor <gz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> hi Zsombor
>
> >  Does anyone have time and knowledge, to merge my patches against the
> IMAP
> > server part.
>
> definitely
>
> (the timing's good since i planned to start taking a look at some of
> this tomorrow)

Great :-)

> I'm currently working on a MINA based protocol handler, when it
> > can handle starttls I will post it for merging too.
>
> sound great :-)
>
> i'm hoping to get back to this area soon so it'd be good if you could
> start posting design ideas and intermediary patches to JIRA so that we
> don't start treading on each others toes.
>
> > So my current pending patches are here:
> >  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JAMES-806
> >  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JAMES-807
> >  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JAMES-808
>
> cool
>
> i also have some stuff locally which needs to be committed into trunk
> so if you could let us all know what you're working on then we'll
> avoid treading too hard on each others toes.
>
> i made a performance break through on my local fork a couple of weeks
> ago. using MimeMessage is *very* slow (as well as being inaccurate)
> and is unnecessary. i'm now well on the way to having a performant and
> accurate FETCH implementation. needs some more testing but i'll push
> what i have into trunk. some of this uses Mime4J so i need to push
> forward some work on that.

I've done any performance test, but in the JAMES-808 i've made some
interface change to allow skipping the creation of MimeMessage, with caching
if the backend supports it. My hibernate based backend works, and the code
is accessible here:
http://james-imap-storage.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/james-imap-storage/,
however i've only run it inside my eclipse, so it's very experimental. My
MINA connector is here,
http://james-imap-storage.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/imap-mina/ currently
doesn't handle literals too well, but I know how to fix it. For the MINA
based connector there is some other patches pending, which introduce some
new interface instead of the hardcoded implementations, I will post it at
the weekend, I hope so.

BR,
 Zsombor

indexing is also important: the vanilla does too many table scans.

Re: Merging my patches ...

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 10/25/07, Zsombor <gz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,