Posted to dev@groovy.apache.org by 孙 岚 <re...@hotmail.com> on 2019/01/08 02:55:44 UTC

[PROPOSAL]About creating open collective for Groovy programming language in the name of Groovy Community

Hi all,

      As we all know, Groovy is lack of sponsorship and slows down its steps since Pivotal stopped sponsoring in 2014. Groovy needs more resources to complete big features and fix hard issues, e.g. MOP2, async/await, Refining generics of STC, Supporting Java11+ fully without warnings, etc.

      I propose to create open collective for Groovy programming language, which can help Groovy Community to collect money to sponsor developing Groovy. Even if the collected money is very few every year, something is better than nothing!

      Here are 2 steps to create open collective for Groovy(as the following snapshots show).  "OSC will assist in managing the funds of the Fund; it will collect the income and will pay and disburse the net income and principal for purposes of the Project as specifically set forth in the Protocols."(SEE the details in attachment 1)

      As groovy/groovy-core is not my personal project, so I am requesting permission from you before I create open collective. To be frank, I am not sure whether it conforms to the Apache policy, so I send the email as a Groovy enthusiast(not a Apache committer) via my own hotmail(not the apache mail). I wish we could create open collective for Groovy programming language in the name of Groovy Community.

      FYI, many open source projects have created open collective, e.g.
1,  babel: https://opencollective.com/babel
2,  asciidoctor: https://opencollective.com/asciidoctor
3,  jhipster: https://opencollective.com/generator-jhipster
4,  vuejs: https://opencollective.com/vuejs
5,  mochajs: https://opencollective.com/mochajs

      Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Daniel.Sun

Steps to create open collective for Groovy

       [cid:eba248d4-9eb0-4190-bcb1-c315475c1107]

[cid:33ad6e07-91d7-4878-bc5c-f349641bfe16]
(Terms & Conditions details can be found in the attachments of this email)

Re: [PROPOSAL]About creating open collective for Groovy programming language in the name of Groovy Community

Posted by Daniel Sun <re...@hotmail.com>.
Here is the introduction of Open Source Collective 501c6 (Non Profit):
https://opencollective.com/opensourcecollective

Cheers,
Daniel.Sun

Re: [PROPOSAL]About creating open collective for Groovy programming language in the name of Groovy Community

Posted by "Daniel.Sun" <su...@apache.org>.
My pleasure :-)

I wish we could create the open collective for Groovy programming language
recently(before the end of February this year). And Paul will consult the
right man about how to do without violating the terms of Apache policy.

Cheers,
Daniel.Sun

-----
Apache Groovy committer
Blog: http://blog.sunlan.me
Twitter: @daniel_sun

Re: [PROPOSAL]About creating open collective for Groovy programming language in the name of Groovy Community

Posted by Jochen Theodorou <bl...@gmx.org>.
First of all I want to say thanks to Daniel for doing this, and I think
we should try.

On 08.01.19 22:44, MG wrote:
[...]
> Might be worth thinking about whether existing sponsors would consider
> giving their donation through the same channel ?

Apparently contributions can be registered in the found as spend money
and thus will increase the fund size. It would mean the fund never gets
the money or has to spend it, but the size increases. Why you should do
that, is a bit beyond me right now.
[...]
> I guess it would also not be too hard to integrate a sponsor names or
> logos into e.g. Groovy console (if Apache allows that)...

I think Apache does not allow that.

bye Jochen

Re: [PROPOSAL]About creating open collective for Groovy programming language in the name of Groovy Community

Posted by Jochen Theodorou <bl...@gmx.org>.
First of all I want to say thanks to Daniel for doing this, and I think
we should try.

[...]

Posted by MG <mg...@arscreat.com>.

Am 08.01.2019 um 11:54 schrieb Paul King:

>     > (4) While sponsorship is below what we'd like and below what it
>     has been
>     > at some previous points in Groovy life, it isn't 0. We have several
>     > existing sponsors, e.g. OCI. The wording about the collective
>     should take
>     > that into consideration.
>
>          Yep. OCI is a great company for Groovy! We always appreciate its
>     sponsorship.
>
>           Let's imagine that would be really great if more people
>     involve into
>     developing Groovy, more big features(e.g. MOP2, async/await) are
>     completed
>     and hard issues(e.g. generics of STC) are fixed every year :-)
>

> Totally agree with you, just suggesting the wording used is sensitive
> to existing players. I can help craft wording if needed.

Might be worth thinking about whether existing sponsors would consider
giving their donation through the same channel ? Could have different
tiers of sponsorship (gold, silver, etc), with respective logo sizes,
etc to differentiate. Would lead to a greater exposure for them...
I guess it would also not be too hard to integrate a sponsor names or
logos into e.g. Groovy console (if Apache allows that)...

Cheers,
mg

Re: [PROPOSAL]About creating open collective for Groovy programming language in the name of Groovy Community

Posted by Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>.
On Tue, Jan 8, 2019 at 6:35 PM Daniel Sun <re...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
> > (1) Since we don't use the "groovy/groovy-core" repo any longer, I don't
> > think that is the correct one to use but rather "apache/groovy".
>
>      As you said in (2), `According to official Apache policy, the ASF
> doesn't accept "cash for code"`, I am not sure we can create open
> collective
> for "apache/groovy"

I am not sure either but why not find out for sure? If we (with community
hats on) can, that would be ideal. I will try to find out the right person
to ask.

> (BTW, I can not access "apache/groovy" via my github account).

I haven't set mine up either but I believe you can use two factor
authentication now that we are using gitbox:
https://gitbox.apache.org/setup/

>      If we can not use "apache/groovy" to create open collective,
> "groovy/groovy-core" may be better, but we have to explain the reason in
> the
> open collective.
>
> > Also, while the Android Groovy Gradle plugin is no doubt a worthy
> > recipient of additional funds, I would be inclined to keep it simple and
> > focus on core Groovy for now.
>      Agreed.
>
> > this would need to be a community-driven effort rather than an official
> > Apache organised activity
>
>      Yep. That's the reason why I sent the email via my personal hotmail.
>
> > The wording could say "Friends of Groovy", or "All Things Groovy" (to
> > mimic the facebook group) or "Gr8 Technologies" rather than "Apache
> Groovy
> > project" or similar.
>
>      "I would be inclined to keep it simple and focus on core Groovy for
> now. ",  I think wording focuses on core Groovy would be better, e.g.
> "Groovy Programming Language"?

I think it needs to be clear up front that it's not associated with Apache
and
just "Groovy Programming Language" while not exactly "Apache Groovy project"
I suspect isn't clear enough. That's why I suggested "Friends of Groovy".

>  I suspect, we (as the Apache project) would need to maintain oversight of
> > the collective to make sure of this. As far as I know this is slightly
> > uncharted territory.
>
>      The opencollective site will record all "contribute" and "submit
> expense", which is open to all people, e.g.
> https://opencollective.com/vuejs#budget

True, that might be enough. We'll have to ask. It does raise the other
question though of how expenses will be approved?

Posted by Guillaume Laforge <gl...@gmail.com>.
It's worth trying!

On Tue, Jan 8, 2019 at 9:35 AM Daniel Sun <re...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
> > (1) Since we don't use the "groovy/groovy-core" repo any longer, I don't
> > think that is the correct one to use but rather "apache/groovy".
>
>      As you said in (2), `According to official Apache policy, the ASF
> doesn't accept "cash for code"`, I am not sure we can create open
> collective
> for "apache/groovy"(BTW, I can not access "apache/groovy" via my github
> account).
>      If we can not use "apache/groovy" to create open collective,
> "groovy/groovy-core" may be better, but we have to explain the reason in
> the
> open collective.
>
> > Also, while the Android Groovy Gradle plugin is no doubt a worthy
> > recipient of additional funds, I would be inclined to keep it simple and
> > focus on core Groovy for now.
>      Agreed.
>
> > this would need to be a community-driven effort rather than an official
> > Apache organised activity
>
>      Yep. That's the reason why I sent the email via my personal hotmail.
>
> > The wording could say "Friends of Groovy", or "All Things Groovy" (to
> > mimic the facebook group) or "Gr8 Technologies" rather than "Apache
> Groovy
> > project" or similar.
>
>      "I would be inclined to keep it simple and focus on core Groovy for
> now. ",  I think wording focuses on core Groovy would be better, e.g.
> "Groovy Programming Language"?
>
> >  I suspect, we (as the Apache project) would need to maintain oversight
> of
> > the collective to make sure of this. As far as I know this is slightly
> > uncharted territory.
>
>      The opencollective site will record all "contribute" and "submit
> expense", which is open to all people, e.g.
> https://opencollective.com/vuejs#budget
>
> > (4) While sponsorship is below what we'd like and below what it has been
> > at some previous points in Groovy life, it isn't 0. We have several
> > existing sponsors, e.g. OCI. The wording about the collective should take
> > that into consideration.
>
>      Yep. OCI is a great company for Groovy! We always appreciate its
> sponsorship.
>
>       Let's imagine that would be really great if more people involve into
> developing Groovy, more big features(e.g. MOP2, async/await) are completed
> and hard issues(e.g. generics of STC) are fixed every year :-)
>
> Cheers,
> Daniel.Sun
>

> --
> Sent from: http://groovy.329449.n5.nabble.com/Groovy-Users-f329450.html

--
Guillaume Laforge
Apache Groovy committer

Blog: http://glaforge.appspot.com/
Twitter: @glaforge <http://twitter.com/glaforge>

Re: [PROPOSAL]About creating open collective for Groovy programming language in the name of Groovy Community

Posted by Daniel Sun <re...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Paul,

Posted by "Daniel.Sun" <su...@apache.org>.
If we can not create open collective for " apache/groovy" and
"groovy/groovy-core" is not a correct choice, we can create open collective
whose category is "Association" and we can call it "Groovy Community" or
something similar.

P.S. Even if I can access "apache/groovy" via my github account, I still can
not see the project in opencollective site when connecting to github. Take
it easy, I just have a try to access it ;-)

Cheers,
Daniel.Sun

-----
Apache Groovy committer
Blog: http://blog.sunlan.me
Twitter: @daniel_sun

Re: Re: [PROPOSAL]About creating open collective for Groovy programming language in the name of Groovy Community

Posted by Thulsi D Krishnan <kt...@in.ibm.com>.
Hi,

Greetings. These are gems of suggestions - i think the community can help
the projects in ways indicated .I used to recall JBoss folks used to
charge some smaller /cook book cost for in-depth manuals.

Thanks a lot
K.Thulsi Doss
Test Architect MFD & SIA
Cell :9880637180
E-Mail;kthulsidoss@in.ibm.com

From:   Owen Rubel <or...@gmail.com>
To:     users@groovy.apache.org, Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>
Date:   07/10/2019 09:57 AM
Subject:        [EXTERNAL] Re: [PROPOSAL]About creating open collective
for Groovy programming language in the name of Groovy Community

Would be more than happy to contribute to open collective. The openness is
vital. There have been too many decisions that have been made that have
closed off the community entirely to the detriment of projects.

OCI itself does not realize that gated communities like Slack are not
searchable, can have their content removed and censored on developers
whims (and have) and the moderators do not follow their own guidelines.

Of note, I have sent suggestion and talked to github 'sponsors' team about
having a credit card (like prime) so that points can be added as
contributions to open source projects. Its as simple as 1% of all
purchases going to your favorite open source project. This would be hugely
beneficial.

The second thing I would suggest: stop building binaries for free.
Remember MAKE files? Charge people $1-2 through the sponsor program for
prebuilt binaries but ALWAYS provide source code and MAKE instructions for
free. Only hardcore people (or people who really need to build from
source) won't pay for the binary. You can even make this a sliding scale
based on region; people in Somalia may not have that dollar so it can
easily be waved.

Always charge for convenience: people will pay even a minimum for
convenience.

There are a ton of ways to get support and build out a support program for
even a small team.

Owen Rubel
orubel@gmail.com

On Mon, Jan 7, 2019 at 7:59 PM Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au> wrote:
Some points:

(1) Since we don't use the "groovy/groovy-core" repo any longer, I don't
think that is the correct one to use but rather "apache/groovy". Also,
while the Android Groovy Gradle plugin is no doubt a worthy recipient of
additional funds, I would be inclined to keep it simple and focus on core
Groovy for now. We can create additional collectives for other Gradle/IDE
plugins if this one proves successful.
(2) According to official Apache policy, the ASF doesn't accept "cash for
code", so this would need to be a community-driven effort rather than an
official Apache organised activity. The wording could say "Friends of
Groovy", or "All Things Groovy" (to mimic the facebook group) or "Gr8
Technologies" rather than "Apache Groovy project" or similar. We can ask
for clarification from Apache marketing/legal but probably easiest if we
have something to show them and ask what might need to be changed.
(3) Having stated (2), it is still the project's responsibility to protect
the Groovy trademark and Apache/Groovy "brands". I suspect, we (as the
Apache project) would need to maintain oversight of the collective to make
sure of this. As far as I know this is slightly uncharted territory. I
would propose to include some proposal in the collective wording along the
lines of "there will always be someone from the Apache Groovy Project
actively involved in the collective". We can run this by the Apache board
and adapt if needed.
(4) While sponsorship is below what we'd like and below what it has been
at some previous points in Groovy life, it isn't 0. We have several
existing sponsors, e.g. OCI. The wording about the collective should take
that into consideration. Perhaps some wording along the lines of "this is
to augment any direct sponsorships from individual companies".

Cheers, Paul.

Posted by Owen Rubel <or...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Daniel.Sun" <su...@apache.org>.
Hi MG,

      I sent the email to user mailing list as well. Thanks for your sharing
thoughts :)

Cheers,
Daniel.Sun

-----
Apache Groovy committer
Blog: http://blog.sunlan.me
Twitter: @daniel_sun

Re: [PROPOSAL]About creating open collective for Groovy programming language in the name of Groovy Community

Posted by Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>.
Some points:

Posted by MG <mg...@arscreat.com>.
(PS: Sorry, just saw the dev post and immediately replied to that...)

Posted by MG <mg...@arscreat.com>.

Posted by MG <mg...@arscreat.com>.
Hi Daniel,

Posted by MG <mg...@arscreat.com>.
Hi Daniel,

Posted by "Daniel.Sun" <su...@apache.org>.
No response util now...

Cheers,
Daniel.Sun

-----
Apache Groovy committer
Blog: http://blog.sunlan.me
Twitter: @daniel_sun

Re: [PROPOSAL]About creating open collective for Groovy programming language in the name of Groovy Community

Posted by Daniel Sun <re...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Paul,

     Thanks a lot for your hard work to make the proposal come true!

Cheers,
Daniel.Sun

Re: [PROPOSAL]About creating open collective for Groovy programming language in the name of Groovy Community

Posted by Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>.
The site is open and ready for business:

https://opencollective.com/friends-of-groovy

The wording is subject to continued evolution so let us know your thoughts.

Cheers, Paul.

Posted by MG <mg...@arscreat.com>.
Hi Paul,

Posted by Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by "Daniel.Sun" <su...@apache.org>.
> I was interested in a statement on the first page that would entice me to
contribute.

You mean the first page is groovy-lang.org ?

@paulk_asert
Paul, can we add some link with some statement about the open collective in
the home page? It seems similar to advertising GR8Conf.

Cheers,
Daniel.Sun

-----
Apache Groovy committer
Blog: http://blog.sunlan.me
Twitter: @daniel_sun

Re: [PROPOSAL]About creating open collective for Groovy programming language in the name of Groovy Community

Posted by "Daniel.Sun" <su...@apache.org>.
Hi  Roman,

You can find the Open Collective information in the project home page:
https://github.com/apache/groovy

I am not sure whether it would entice me to contribute ;-)

Cheers,
Daniel.Sun

-----
Apache Groovy committer
Blog: http://blog.sunlan.me
Twitter: @daniel_sun

Re: [PROPOSAL]About creating open collective for Groovy programming language in the name of Groovy Community

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
True, but this is a post-factum view. I was interested in a statement on

Posted by Marcin Erdmann <ma...@proxerd.pl>.
On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 3:02 PM Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
wrote:

> On a side of somebody who may consider donating -- I'd also like to see a
> clearly
> articulated statement of how the money received will be spent.

I'd be interested in that too.

Cheers,
Marcin

Re: [PROPOSAL]About creating open collective for Groovy programming language in the name of Groovy Community

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 6:30 PM Jennifer Strater <je...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Roman,
>
> This thread is about finding out whether we are allowed to use
> OpenSourceCollective(OSC) to fund/reward contributions to the Apache Groovy
> project. The response we are expecting is an unconditional yes, yes with
> clearly defined conditions, or no.

The way I see it is this: it is all about how you frame it. The framing
that is very likely
to pass VP Brand test is this: you register an organization there that is
clearly
NOT affiliated with ASF. Call it "Friends of Apache Groovy" or something.
Then in
the short blurb you disclaim the relationship even further.

That's the ASF side.

Posted by Jennifer Strater <je...@gmail.com>.
Hi Roman,

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by MG <mg...@arscreat.com>.
Was also wondering about that...
The funding topic has been brought up several times and it always seems
to go back to sleep without any progress, so hope this time will be
different.

I feel it should not be this hard to give some money to the project one
likes, just because it is a Apache project ;-)
Maybe automatically rerouting, say, 5% of the money donated to the ASF
could be another answer for the whole ASF trademark etc issue ?-)

Cheers,
mg

Posted by Jennifer Strater <je...@gmail.com>.
Hi everyone,

Posted by Marcin Erdmann <ma...@proxerd.pl>.

Posted by Alessio Stalla <al...@gmail.com>.
For 4. (sponsoring individual developers and encouraging developers to
participate) have you considered BountySource?

Posted by MG <mg...@arscreat.com>.
Some thoughts from my side:

Posted by Daniel Sun <re...@hotmail.com>.
Agreed. Thanks for your advice. We MUST avoid problems about trademarks or
ASF ownership.

Currently I am waiting for Paul's consulting result about how to create the
open collective and conform to the Apache policy :-)

To make the idea clear, the reason why I propose to create the open
collective is to appeal more people to contribute Groovy. The potential
contributors may be busy at work time and tired after work, so they have no
spare time to contribute, but they maybe want to earn additional money for
some reason.

Cheers,
Daniel.Sun

Re: [PROPOSAL]About creating open collective for Groovy programming language in the name of Groovy Community

Posted by Cédric Champeau <ce...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marcin Erdmann <ma...@proxerd.pl>.
Great initiative, Daniel, thanks.

I know of at least one situation where a company wanted to contribute to
Groovy development in a monetary way but it was somewhat unclear of how to
actually implement it and it fell through the cracks. Having something like
the collective you're proposing would definitely make it easier and would
not require a company to sponsor a specific contributor. It would allow
multiple companies to put money into a pot which could then be used by
contributors who have the capacity and whenever their personal
circumstances allow them to work on development of the language.

Marcin

Posted by Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>.
Some points: