Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Hélène Montarou <hm...@yahoo.com> on 2010/08/06 19:22:45 UTC

[users@httpd] SSL certificate and multiple names

Hi,

I have installed httpd-2.2.3 and I would like to generate a certificate.
The machine on which it is installed has an internal name (internal.domain.com)
and I would like to use another name for external purpposes
(services.external.domain.com).
I would like to generate a certificate for the external name
(services.external.domain.com).
I was wondering where I could configure the name in Linux config file as well as
in the httpd config files to make it work.
I haven't seen a naming parameter in httpd.config.

Would you give me some direction?

Thank you,

Hélène

Re: [users@httpd] SSL certificate and multiple names

Posted by Crypto Sal <cr...@gmail.com>.
  On 08/10/2010 04:11 AM, Mark Watts wrote:

> On 06/08/10 18:22, Hélène Montarou wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have installed httpd-2.2.3 and I would like to generate a certificate.
>> The machine on which it is installed has an internal name
>> (internal.domain.com) and I would like to use another name for external
>> purpposes (services.external.domain.com).
>> I would like to generate a certificate for the external name
>> (services.external.domain.com).
>> I was wondering where I could configure the name in Linux config file as
>> well as in the httpd config files to make it work.
>> I haven't seen a naming parameter in httpd.config.
>>
>> Would you give me some direction?
>>
>> Thank you,
>>
>> Hélène
>>

> Conventional SSL certificates are tied to a specific "Common Name".
> In Apache terms, this is the same as the hostname you put in the browser
> in order to connect to a given VirtualHost.
> EG: "www.example.com"
>
> If you want two different hostnames, you generally need two different
> certificates. Similarly, you will need a unique IP:port combination for
> each Virtual Host, since the ServerName variable isn't seen by Apache
> until after the SSL handshake.
>
> There are exceptions to this: Wildcard certificates (for
> "*.example.com") and "SNI" are two.
>
> Mark.
>
> - --
> Mark Watts BSc RHCE MBCS

Mark,

You're forgetting a group in Multi-Domain Certificates (Multi-Common
Names and Single Common Name, multi-SAN[Subject Alternative Name]).
These certificates are very common with hosting providers and on
Exchange 2007+ platforms.

--Sal

Re: [users@httpd] SSL certificate and multiple names

Posted by Mark Watts <m....@eris.qinetiq.com>.